Chapter 30

Harry’s POV:

After the little talk with Nandini last night, I realised that things were not at all right. I had told her that I was on for a walk but walk is the last thing on my mind.

I couldn’t take her car as I might not be able to return back soon and she should not run late to work. I remembered the way to the apartment and so I just took a cab to reach there as soon as possible.

After paying for the ride, I rushed up the stairs on the floor I remember keeping a basket of milkshakes last time.

I knocked on the door and waited. Soon the door was opened and I was eyed head to toe by the person I wanted to meet so long; Kabir Vaghela. The man stood nearly as tall as me, dark hair all around his face and a suspicious look in his eyes.

“Hello, I’m Harry.” I greeted even though I wanted to punch the shit out of him.

“Yeah I know. Why are you here.” He was rude.

“Not the best way to welcome your guests. I am here to have a talk.” I can not defame my mum, she taught me to be polite.

He still had an annoyed look on his face and stood stiff at the door but soon shifted back and gestured me to come in. He shut the door behind me and walked to the couch.

“Listen, I have no time for any type of drama or speeches. Say what you have to.” He frowned.

“I know. And I have no will to eat up your time. I just wanted to know why you touched Nandini.” He looked at me with horrified eyes.

“What!”

“I said it. Why did you slap Nandini.” I stayed firm.

“First of all, who the heck are you to investigate this!” He raised his voice.

“I am just trying to ask something politely, would you like to answer that?” He was slowly getting on my nerves.

“I don’t feel the need to answer to the leader of a bunch of performers.” His words pierced my ears as they found a place to stay in my head.

“Says a person who has no idea how to behave when with a lady.” I said.

“You have no right to say that to me!” He raged.

“You are the one who slapped her. Have you got any feelings inside yourself as to how she might have felt! Or still feels! No! You are a selfish brat who only cares about himself. You should have been grateful for her!” I couldn’t hold my words and the broke out.

“How dare you to shout at me like that!” He snapped and glared at me with angry eyes.

“Feeling triggered Huh? My words hurt because they are true.” I smiled victoriously.

“She is my sister. Whatever I do with is none of your problems. Get away from our lives!” His eyes were shining now.

“ I have a sister too but I don’t go around slapping her for something she does because it is her life.” He seemed to say something but I cut him off.

“You failed as a brother. Nandini was so hurt you couldn’t even imagine. I can’t believe how peacefully you’re living while she became homeless. I wonder if you have even a pinch of idea how bad you shattered her and fed lies to boost your ego. But yeah, how would you know that, you have never loved.” My anger had turned into disappointment. As  I said the last words, he looked up at me with a lot of emotions lurking in his eyes.

“You are saying that just because you have no idea how bad I feel! I have experienced losing my childhood friend in an instant because of alcohol running in my body and you have no idea about it.” He firmly stated but his body started getting weak.

“That doesn’t act as an excuse for your behaviour.”

“So what did you expect me to do! Let her fall for someone who would be in another corner of the world the next moment, let her live between the constant fear of other people like you harassing her, let her get bullied by millions of kids who are your fans, let her get such an unstable life, or let her be with people without families who run for money! I just wanted to protect her!” He broke down and fell back on the couch as he said that.

For a moment, I was stuck at my place feeling every word he just said.
He was right. He couldn’t let his sister have a life filled with worries. He feared that Nandini would not be safe and secure with me and he had all the rights to.

“I have been with her since my memory recalls. We were together helping each other through school to college. I kept her with me everytime because I knew she would feel lonely among those fake girls who crave attention. Because I knew Nandini. I knew how pure she is and I never wanted anything bad for her.”

“I just didn’t want her emotions to drive her towards stressful life or future. I wanted to see her standing independently and happy, as she was. If someone loved me after my mother, it was her and I just can not lose her.” His voice cracked as he spoke.

I couldn’t make out anything and for the first time in ages, I felt weak. How could I not think of something like that, from the point of a brother, like I was too busy misinterpreting him.

“I am sorry. You are right, I get your feelings.” I moved forward towards him. “But why did you never tell her? You had days to call her.” He still was the bad guy.

“I never had the courage to. I could never bring myself up to her and apologize for what I did. And I could not think of her getting further away from me.” He spoke softly.

I sat on the table in front of him and presented my idea. “What if you see her tomorrow? Will you apologize?”

“If only I see her and she is ready to see me.” He lifted his head up, “But I don’t know when and I don’t have much time either. My company promoted me and I’ll be joining the new branch soon, like, before mid-January.”

“Do not worry about that when I am here.” A smile found it’s way to my face. He sat straight, wiping the last year off his face, “Can I believe you?”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Will you take care of her? Can I leave knowing that she will be safe and happy?” He kept his points.

“This is my promise to you that she will receive all the happiness she deserves and will not have to face any hardships. I assure you that my professional life will never be a reason of the suffering. I want to take care of her and be with her like normal people. And I promise there will be no regrets.” I looked at him with hopes as he got lost in his thoughts. I would not let a bond like them break so easily.

“I want to meet her.” He said after a long pause and I smiled. “Sure thing, new year’s day, we’ll have a great evening.”

______________________________________

Small chapter but fits good. What do you think will happen next??