Chapter 28

-Nora POV-

We waited at a house, Dimo and his son came to us with two MP’s. But we were waiting for them.
One stuck his head out and I hit him with the back of a gun, while Mikasa took out the other one.

“Remind me to never piss you two off” said Jean.
My dad locked one of them in a dungeon and the other one in another room.

“All of you will stay here, when Hange comes, tell her to come down here” said dad and I nodded.
Not long after that, we heard screaming… my dad was torturing one of them…

Armin laid his hands on my shoulder, trying to make me feel at ease…
I closed my eyes and laid one of my hands on Armin’s.

Hange came in and before she could say anything. “They’re in the basement” I said and she ran down the stairs.
Suddenly we heard screaming again. Even louder now…

“Here we go again” said Jean.
“The screams seem a lot louder than when the Captain did it” said Sasha.
“I know it’s to save our friends. But, it still makes me sick” said Conny.

Armin sat down on a chair next to me. “Let’s face the facts. We’re criminals now. Our last enemy wanted to eat us, we don’t have an excuse like that for killing these people. It’s just that their views are different. No, it’s just because they’re in another group. And for that we’ll take their lives”

“Armin…” said Mikasa.
“We’re not good people. Not anymore at least” said Armin.
I stood up and went up the stairs, to the rooftop. I put on my hood over my head and hugged my knees.

‘Why is all of this happening? Why are we constantly fighting? And how come, that when dad told us to kill them, I was actually gonna do it? I’m prepared to kill, if it’ll save my friends’

-Kenny POV-

We found the fat Reeves guy. I held a knife under his throat.
“The one thing a merchant should never sell out of is trust” I said and slit his throat.

“Was it wise to do that without asking where Levi is?” asked Caven.
“He’ll show up no matter what we do” I said and cleaned my blade.

“How do you know that?” she asked.
“Because I raised him, that’s how. Levi Ackerman is not one to give up the chase. And Eleanor Ackerman is exactly the same. That brat looks exactly like her father, especially when she was little” I said and smiled.

-Nora POV-

“Eleanor. Come downstairs, we got the information” said my dad and I stood up.
“Right” I whispered.

“Are you alright?” he asked and I shook my head.
“No, I don’t know. I guess I’m just dealing with all of this in my own way” I said and he sighed.

“I’m sorry” he said. “I know this isn’t the way we were supposed to spend time together. And I never wanted this life for you”

“But I do” I said and he looked me in the eyes. “I’ve never regretted this life, dad. Not for a second. Sure, I would’ve loved to know you growing up. But that’s in the past. The fact that I’m okay with all of this, scares me! When you told us to kill those people, I was actually prepared to do it. And not think twice about it! And I’m okay with you torturing those people, if it’ll get us Eren and Historia back! The fact that I’m okay with it, terrifies me”

He took me in his arms. “That doesn’t make you a bad person, Eleanor. You have your mother’s heart and just like you, she would do anything for the people she loves, even if it meant getting blood on her hands. It doesn’t make you a bad person” he whispered.

“Nora?” It was Armin. “Oh, sorry. I didn’t mean to interrupt”
“It’s okay, talk quickly and then come downstairs” said dad and left.

“What’s wrong?” asked Armin and I just hugged him tightly. “Hey, I’m sorry for what I said earlier. I didn’t mean to get you down”

“Armin” I whispered. “I’m scared. I’m scared of myself…”
“What do you mean?” he asked but I couldn’t tell him. “If you’re worried that I’ll hate you, I could never hate you, Nora”

I took a deep breath and told him what I told my dad.
“Nora” he said and kissed my forehead. “Do you hate me for killing someone?”
“What? Of course not!” I said.

“It’s the same with me. If you had killed someone there, I would’ve never hated you. I could never hate you, Eleanor” he whispered and I smiled. The way he said my name made my heart beat faster.

“Come on, let’s get back to the others” he said but I stopped him. I pulled him closer to me and I kissed him.
“I love you, Armin Arlert” I whispered and he blushed.
“I love you too, Eleanor Sato” he whispered back and kissed me softly.

~

“Wait, hang on a sec” I said when they told us what they had learned.
“You mean the rightful heir to the throne is Historia?” asked Armin.

“That’s correct and based on that knowledge, we assume that she and Eren have been taken to Lord Reiss” said Hange and Moblit took out a sketch of Lord Reiss.

“That’s him” said dad.
“That’s not all” said Hange.
“Really? This day can get even worse?” I said and sighed.

“Afraid so, little Levi” said Hange and I rolled my eyes. “Eren remembered a conversation between Berthold and Ymir. Based on this, this is how you can become a Titan shifter. First you become a pure Titan, until you eat someone with the power to transform. Which is what they’re planning to do to him”

“That would explain why Reiner threw Titans all around” I said and they looked at me. “If one of those ate Eren, they would’ve transformed into a human, and would’ve been easier to take with them”

“You’re right, if the government has a Titan of their own. They’ll use it to eat Eren” said Hange. Mikasa walked to the door but my father stopped her.

“Calm down” he said. “I know you want to get Eren back. But going on a rampage won’t help with that. Anyway, we’re headed for Rod Reiss’s estate. Prepare to leave at once”

-two days later-

We waited in the forest for Armin, Jean and Mikasa. They were out buying supplies.
“Captain, we bought the supplies” said Jean.

“The MP’s were handing out these flyers” said Armin and gave one to my dad.
“What happened?” I asked when I saw their worry.

“If this is true, then the Scouts will be disbanded. They say they will be hunting for us in the mountains tonight. They’re all posting guards on the vital roads. No one can get through them without a pass. So Captain, what now?” Armin asked.
“We need to hurry and find Eren” said Mikasa.

“He’ll be fine. They’re taking him on a wagon. That gives us one day before they reach Reiss’s estate. And we need every second we can get to come up with a plan” said dad.

“Captain, I hear footsteps” said Sasha and we all listened. “Sounds like they’re approaching”