Chapter 29

-Nora POV-

Armin and I acted as bait, we stood with the river getting water.
“Don’t move” I heard a voice behind me. “Turn around slowly”

We raised our hands and turned around. “You two must be Scouts. Not a sound, don’t say a word. Now listen and do exactly as I instruct” said the guy but he got interrupted by Mikasa and my dad jumping on them.

“That’s the way, now hand your guns to the ones in front” said dad and the girl gave me her gun.
“Don’t say a word, right?” said Armin and I smiled.
‘That was hot...'

I bound the girl’s hands together, while Armin did the same with the guy.
“Private Marlo Freudenberg and Private Hitch Dreyse. We need to dispose of you” said dad.

“Because of what you did” said Hitch. “Stohess was a graveyard! Over a hundred people were killed! You bastards! I bet you all think you’re some kind of heroes of justice but you’re not! You dropped dozens of innocent families straight into hell because of that mission of yours!”

“Yeah, we did” said dad.
“Eh, dad. Maybe don’t sound so blunt” I said.
“Hey you” said Hitch to me. “You’re from the Southern Cadet Corps, right? So you trained with Annie Leonhard. Were you a friend of hers? No, she wouldn’t have made friends there either. Way too gloomy and unapproachable for that. She was just afraid of people like a scared little kid” I rose my eyebrow when she said that. “Now I’ll never get the chance to know anything about her. She’s officially listed as missing, you know why? It’s because one of your Titans turned her into an ugly red stain on the street!”

“Actually, no” said dad. “It’s because the Titan we captured, was Annie Leonhard herself”
Marlo and Hitch gasped.

“God damn it, it makes me sick” said dad. “Nobody knows a thing about this world. Not us or anyone else. Except for the bastards in the centre of it all. We’re letting you go, but we need to have a head start”

“Annie” said Hitch.
“Hey, Captain Levi!” shouted Marlo. “Please, let me join in your cause. I believe that the Military Police are in the wrong here. If there’s any way that I can fight this worlds injustice. Than that’s what I want to do”

“Easy, calm down” said my dad.
“I swear I won’t let you down, sir!” shouted Marlo.
“No, I have no way of telling if you have resolve to make an enemy of the state” said dad. “Let’s go. Take them deeper into the woods, Sasha”

“Sir!” she said.
“Captain” said Jean. “Would you let me do it instead?”
“Knock yourself out” said dad.
Jean was going to test them, to see if we could really trust them.
They passed of course.

~

They showed us the least manned post.
“As far as I know this is the least manned checkpoint in the region” said Marlo.

“Good, we’ll handle things from here. Get back to your squad before they’re suspicious” said dad to the duo.
“Right” they both said.
“Marlo, Hitch” said dad and they turned around. “We’re grateful”

“Sir” they said and saluted.
“See, being nice isn’t that hard” I said and my dad rolled his eyes.
“Alright, this time we’re picking the fight!” said dad.

Not long after we had taken control of the situation.
We got through and captured the man in charge of that checkpoint.
“Captain, isn’t he?” asked Armin.

“He’s with the interior Police. I’ve got questions for him. Let’s move” answered dad.
“Screw you” said the man and my dad kicked him again.

“Where did they take Eren and Krista?” asked my dad again.
“You bastards, you think you’re so brave. That post was manned by recruits. They barely even knew how to wipe their own assess. No one’s gonna think you’re heroes for beating them” said the man.

“Yeah, the guilt is tearing me apart” said dad and he shoved his foot inside the mouth of the man. “But what really gets at me is this mouth of yours. I suggest you start talking while you’re still able to use it. Now where are Eren and Krista?”

“You can’t win. All that’s left to you now, is to find some filthy corner to hide in. Covered in mud and shit! If you don’t turn yourselves in, then every last Scout we capture will get the noose! Starting with guiltiest one of all! Erwin Smith!” the man shouted.
My dad took the man’s hand and turned it behind his back, breaking some bones.

“That’s right, that’s what you get for not answering my question. Some Scouts lives are more valuable than others. Only those dumb enough to agree that join us. Again, where did they take Eren and Krista?” he asked again.

“I… I don’t know. Nobody told me, I swear! Kenny Ackerman doesn’t like to make his business known!” the man shouted.
“Ackerman?” said dad and I looked at Mikasa. “I know Kenny. Is that his last name?”

“It is!” shouted the man.
“He never was one for sharing information. Not important stuff anyway. But I bet you have a rough idea. You best try to remember” said dad and the man began to struggle. “You have enough bones left for me to break”

“Damn it! Are you insane?” the man shouted.
“Maybe” said dad.

“Somebody is coming towards us!” said Sasha and lined up her bow and arrow. “And there’s more than one”
The people who were approaching were Hange and Moblit.

They told us the news, the coup was a success, and we weren’t being hunted anymore. The Scouts were exonerated. They even got a public confession out of an MP.
“In short” said Hange. “We’re no longer criminals”

We all cheered and Armin lifted me up, twirling me around.
“Oh, I think I know where Eren and Historia might be” said Hange. “Let’s get there and put an end to this fight”

~

We rode out, I sat beside Armin on the wagon.
“Hange, you said you might know where they are” said Mikasa.
“Oh yeah, guess I should explain how” said Hange. “Erwin gave me this Scout report of an investigation on Lord Reiss’s land. It details a certain incident, that occurred 5 years ago on the Reiss estate”

“5 years?” I asked.
“That’s right, it was the day Wall Maria was breached. I’ll summarise the most important parts from the beginning. So, as far as Regional Lords went, Lord Reiss was fair and well respected by the people. He 5 children, the most well-known of them was his eldest daughter Frieda. She was a down to earth girl who even the peasants adored. But 5 years ago, on that night disaster struck. With the fall of Wall Maria the world was punched into chaos, bandits raided and set fire to the only chapel around. Unfortunately for them, the entire Reiss family had gathered there to pray. And so, the entire family was massacred by bandits that night. Except one, only Rod Reiss managed to escape with his life. To top it all off, this incident occurred a few days before Historia’s mother was killed by the interior police. So we know in the immediate wake of losing his family, Rod Reiss sought out Historia. And something tells me that it wasn’t out of a newfound paternal affection” Hange explained.

“Well, she is of Royal blood. Or do you think that bloodline has some other secrets?” asked dad.

“It’s possible, but I’m not sure yet. What really stood out to me at least, was the fact that large parts of the chapel were destroyed. The chapel was made from stone, it would take a lot of time and effort to destroy it. If it was bandits, they would’ve taken what they could and escape. Also, Lord Reiss was the only witness. No one confirmed his story. Then Lord Reiss rebuild the chapel with his personal fortune almost immeadiatly. What was his rush? When you think about it, the story could only make sense if it involved a Titan attack. It may turn out that I’m jumping to conclusions, but it’s the only lead we have” said Hange. “Before the night is over, Reiss’s land will be crawling with our soldiers. Unfortunately we can’t expect him to wait that long. We have to get there as soon as possible. Before Eren ends up in someone’s stomach”