Home Sweet Home

"The Avengers. It’s what we call ourselves, sort of like a team. “Earth’s Mightiest Heroes” type thing.." ~Tony Stark

306, Via Noscere, New Rome, California, United States.

"I'm home!" I call out into my house.

"Daddy!" A little ball of energy wheels around the corner and into the foyer.

Before I can even step into the house, a little six year old practically leaps at me.

"Woah there Zoe!" I laugh as I set her down, "I'm happy to see you as well. How have you been doing?"

"You first!" She demands.

I look at my daughter's face. Zoe inherited her mother's big-pleading-gray-eyes look, and it works even better for her that it did for Annabeth.

I rub her long black hair, "Okay kiddo. I'll tell you everything I can."

Hoisting her up, I begin to walk into the kitchen. Standing there, hands on her hips, is my wife, Annabeth.

"Zoe," She begins, with a sterious face, "What did I tell you about leaving the table before you finish all of your food."

Zoe hangs her head, "I need to finish all of my food before I can leave the table." She intones.

I set Zoe down, "Go on now. You don't want mommy to get mad."

She grins and runs back over to the table. I look up at Annabeth and begin to smile, until I see the look on her face.

"Perseus Jackson..." She begins.

I swallow nervously, "Yes dear."

Her facade breaks and she begins to smile, "Welcome home Seaweed Brain."

I smile as we kiss. The instant we do, a squeal forces the two of us apart.

"Ewww!" Zoe screeches, "Mommy, daddy, why are you doing that?"

I laugh at my daughter's antics, "Because mommy and daddy love each other."

"And one day, when you get a boyfriend -" Annabeth begins, but is cut off by the hysterical six-year-old.

"No way! Boys are icky. I don't like them!" She start shaking in her chair.

I laugh even louder as Annabeth joins in. Speech patterns aside, my Zoe is just like Zoe Nightshade, an old friend and her namesake.

"Stop laughing." She whines.

"It's okay Zoe." I try to stifle my laughter a little, "We're just messing with you."

"So, which of the battleships were you commanding this month?" Annabeth asks, directing the conversation away from our daughter.

"MONTH?! I've been gone that long!" Sure, I have absolute bearings at sea, but when you're chasing down a terrorist ship, you don't really notice the dates.

"Yes. You have."

"Wow..." I focus on the original question, "Fury had me use The Mako this time around."

"Okay." She replies, and how did the mission go?"

I try to give her as much detail as I can, without revealing anything classified, which is easy seeing as Annabeth is cleared for almost all of the information.

"They were Telkhines this time." I say as I sit down, "It seems like monsters are getting more and more involved in the mortal world."

Annabeth sits down next to me and Zoe jumps up into my lap. I pat her head and sigh contentedly.