Twelve

Her head was pounding as she stirred in her sleep. Her usual sunlight alarm clock hitting her eyes the moment the curtains were opened. The girls running around didn't help the situation much either. It was beyond Maddie who wanted to have a conversation right as they woke up but Susan and Hannah wouldn't stop talking.

Maddie groaned opening her eyes putting on her glasses. The two giggling girls made their way to the foot of her bed. She looked up at the girls annoyed as Hannah held an envelope in her hand. She sat up reaching for the envelope but Hannah pulled it back.

"Uh uh not so fast," she smirked, "I saw you sneak out with Cedric last night."

"And what apart of that seems to be any of your business?" Maddie raised her eyebrow getting up from the bed and snatching the envelope from her hand. "Take my shit again and you'll wish you hadn't."

Hannah stepped back from the girl timidly, "not a morning person." She whispered to Susan.

Maddie took Fetty off the ground picking him up and placing her on her bed. She sat down with him in her lap as she opened the envelope with the same Lena scribbled on it. Hannah and Susan still stood by her bed waiting for her to open it, she gave them a dirty look. They looked at each other and quickly dispersed out of the room. She opened the envelope and took out the small card out of it.

Lena,
I've been debating on if I wanted to send you another note. Just like most things, can we keep this a secret? I'm not embarrassed of these or anything more that I want this to be special. If you haven't already, look in the envelope I have a surprise for you.
Rick.

Maddie furrowed her brows looking in the envelope. She saw a silver chain, flipping the envelope over she let the silver chain fall into her hand along with another not.

Lena,
I found this at a shop down in Hogsmead and I thought of you. Is it too soon to get you gifts? I hope you like it.
Rick.

Maddie held up the silver chain that would fit her wrist. She was more of a gold person if she was being honest, she didn't have any silver jewelry. There was an L connecting both sides of the chain together. She couldn't help but smile at the gift. She slid the bracelet on with the rest of her jewelry.

"Fetty we need to find out who Rick is." She said petting her cat who purred in response.

"Maddie get ready everyone's wishing Cedric luck in a few minutes!" Susan said running up the stairs, she nodded getting out of bed.

Maddie got out of bed stretching and throwing her bed together quickly. She opened her old trunk that had once belonged to her mother taking out a suitable outside for the day; wide legged jeans, an oversized tan sweater, and her beat up black hightop converse. She tiredly brushed through her hair deciding to keep her glasses on for the day. She gave Fetty one last pat before walking down the stairs grabbing her jacket.

She walked into the common room seeing a group of Hufflepuffs huddled around their Triwizard champion. Cedric had a big smile on his face as he hugged or high-fived the people around him. Maddie heard a knock at the door of the common room, confused she opened the door.

"Ah good morning." Caroline smiled representing her house in her dark green sweater.

"Good morning." Maddie greeted letting the girl in. She happily walked into the common room trying to worm her way into the group. She was quickly shoved out.

Caroline rolled her eyes looking back at Maddie, "a snake is going to bite a badger." She muttered under her breath walking Maddie.

Maddie smiled slightly, the thought of Cedric making her less comfortable by the minute. She had a million things she wanted to say to him but she couldn't. She wanted nothing more than to get their friendship on track along with his relationship with Cho. The group of Hufflepuffs started to disperse as Cedric found his way to Caroline and Maddie.

He smiled at Caroline engulfing her in a hug, "you'll do great Ced." She said hugging him back.

They let go of each other and Cedric looked to Maddie with a small smile on his face. He took her hand and threw her into a hug. "Consider last night forgotten." He whispered into her ear, she nodded.

"Thank you." She whispered hugging him back, "be careful."

"I will." He smiled.

They all started assembling out of the common room, Cedric soon disappearing off to where he was supposed to go. Almost on cue everyone came out of their houses and walked down the stairs. Everyone filed out of the building to the arena. The arena was just outside of Hogwarts in an area most students didn't venture off to. All the students filled in trying to get the best seat they could. 

Maddie and Caroline found themselves a spot in the middle of the students who were now cheering anxiously awaiting the first competitor. 

"Bets taken! Bets taken here!" George Weasley yelled going through the stands. 

"Step up folks! Who fancies a flutter in today's bloodbath?" 

"Smart money's on Krum to survive. Any bets?" 

Fred caught sight of Maddie who was chatting with Caroline about something. He happily trotted over with his trunk wrapped around his neck, "hey Maddie want to place a bet?" He questioned.

Maddie turned her head seeing Fred standing next to her she smiled at him, "how much?" She questioned. 

Caroline scoffed, "you can't be serious." Maddie whipped around giving Caroline a look to shut up, "I'd like to make a bet." She said making Maddie boil.

Fred nodded opening his trunk, "I would like to bet twenty galleons that you will go away and never come back." Caroline smiled making Fred close his trunk quickly. 

Maddie whacked Caroline in the arm making her flinch, "don't mind her she doesn't have many manners." She said making Fred laugh. 

"It's not the first time," he said looking over at an annoyed Caroline, "certainly not the last." He smiled towards Maddie. 

"I'll keep my wager low, five galleons that Cedric comes in first place." Maddie said he smiled at her writing down her bet. 

"Five galleons it is." He said walking away from the girls giving Maddie one last glance.