"Congratulations" - Chapter 24

What the hell am I doing?

Alexander could feel the hands of Maria trailing over his back, fingernails skating over his skin and scratching into it, leaving large marks.

He could hear her light pants in his ear, which ghosted over his neck, sending chills down his spine.

The image of the woman beneath him flashed between the curly-haired Maria, and then to the smiling face of Eliza.

He squeezed his eyes shut. He didn't want to look at her.

"Alexander?" Maria questioned, her voice breathy.

"I don't -" Alexander shot his eyes open. "- want you!" He cried out, running a hand through his hair as he sat up sharply. He blinked multiple times, gazing around the room, trying to adjust his eyes to the dark. He let out a low huff upon hearing nothing except a humming silence pound on his ears; followed by his head, aching loudly. Alex fell back against his bed, raising his hands to his face and groaning into his palms. He was back at Lafayette's house. Of course. Just a nightmare.

A realistic nightmare, nonetheless.

Sitting back up, he twisted and reached for his phone, checking the time. Through bleary eyes, he read the blaring numbers 02:03 am. Slipping out of bed and slowly dragging himself out of his room, deciding to clear his head before he'd go back to sleep. There was no way he'd get good rest after that repeated nightmare.

However, just as he was in the kitchen making himself a glass of water, there was a loud knocking at the door and an echo of the doorbell. Frowning, he set the glass down and hesitantly walked over to the door. Lafayette was out, staying the night somewhere else as he'd been out drinking and couldn't get a ride home. Peggy was staying at Laurens' place, and of course, Hercules was at his own house. He was home alone. Who would be ringing the door at this time of night, anyway, even if he wasn't home alone?

Suppose he should be scared shitless, but his brain was too weary to think too much about it.

Unlocking the door and allowing it to swing open, he was met with the infuriated face of Angelica, who glared directly up at him.

"Is Peggy here?" She demanded, glancing away, as though she couldn't bear the sight of Alexander.

"No, she's at John's place." He responded quietly.

"Oh. Okay."

"...You can come in if you'd like, though? Have something to eat or drink, just so you didn't drive out here all for nothing?"

Angelica hesitated, then nodded. "Just don't get any 'funny ideas', alright?"

Alexander scoffed, hand clenching on the door as he opened it to let her past. He didn't respond, biting back a retort. It was always you who had the 'funny ideas'.  

Angelica sat on the couch while Alexander flicked the light on, locking the main door and heading to the kitchen to make Ange a drink, of which she only requested water. "I thought you would've known Peggy was out with John. Wouldn't she have told you?" He walked over as he spoke, crouching and handing the water to her.

"She did."

He froze, feeling his whole body wash over with an icy chill.

"Oh... well, uh, that's good. I'm glad you knew where she was," He stammered, having trouble finding his ground after the bold statement. He didn't sit down but instead rose back up to his full height, turning away and pacing around the other couch, subconsciously placing a tensed hand on the back of the said couch and staring up at the ceiling.