seven

"You better start explaining," I sneer, as he looks at me in an unperturbed manner.

"Talk."

He presses his lips together and lets out an exasperated sigh followed by an irked eye roll, and I don't believe this is entertaining enough for him.

"Oh I'm sorry, am I boring you?" I scowl as I cross my arms above my chest and tilt my head to the side.

He glances up at me, brushing his disheveled hair out of his eyes, and overlooks my question, "They left earlier this morning," he answers, leaning back against the headboard of the bed. "Your father said he had business, and they all went with him. They must have forgotten about you."

As I boldly approached him, picking up a luxury pen from his lamp desk and holding it over his face, he lifted both of his eyebrows.

"Liar," I spat, my jaw tightened and my gaze riveted on his cunning eyes.

"You might not remember but," he takes a moment, with unblinking and focused eye contact, and a smirk on his lips. "Us Faeries, can't lie."

He pisses me off.

"Ugh! God, screw you, Cardan!" I groaned and slammed the pen on the ground.

"Hey, that pen isn't cheap," he said, kicking off his covers and slipping his feet into a pair of pricey slippers.

"You know, having a fit isn't going to get you out of here." He lambasted, pushing his hair back but it just tends to fall over his face again. "Instead, I could get you one of the Palace's horses and ride you back to your place."

"And why would you want to help me?" I scoff, tapping my foot instinctively on the ground, crossing my arms over my chest, and arching an eyebrow. Seriously, why would he help me?

"Perhaps because I want you out of here as much as you don't want to waste another second around me," he speculated as he buttoned his shirt.

"Fine," I murmur, knowing I don't have any other options. "Take me to your horses..."

"As you wish," he responds, feigning a bow and exiting the room before of me.

I follow him down the stairwell, and we ultimately arrive at a rear entrance that leads to an open garden. It's breathtaking, unlike anything I've ever seen before, even after all these years in elfhame.

He doesn't even take a moment to savor the scenery; evidently, he's seen it all before.

I spot a big barn off in the distance, and it appears that's where he's going. When we arrive, I have to confess the stench isn't particularly pleasant.

"You can have mine since all the other guards need theirs," he says, stopping at one of the stalls. A lot of hay is strewn over the ground, and it stinks like horse...shit.

I come to a halt next to him, admiring the stallion's beauty; its ebony coating is as pure as linen, yet its hair is silky and lush; she's haughty, as anyone could tell by the way she stands; foot to foot, neck held out.

I'm undecided about whether I should thank him or simply take his horse and leave.

He walks into the stable and unlocks the gate; she does not attempt to leave, instead anxiously waiting for a saddle to be placed on her back.

After placing everything on her, Cardan hands the rein over to me and I nibble the corner of my lip before taking it.

I put my hand on her muzzle and gently stroke it down to her nose. Cardan watches as she lowers her head and softly nudges me, and a smile appears on my lips.

"She likes you," he says, caressing her with his hand on her flank.

"She's beautiful," I say, my gaze was drawn to the white spots above her eyes. "What's her name?" I inquire.

He shrugs and says, "Black."

Is he really serious, he named a damn horse 'Black'?

"Creative as ever, I see."

"And what would you name her?" He fires back, eyeballing me as I pet her.

"Something that isn't 'Black,'" I say as I observe her. "Perhaps, Eclipse."

That name appeals to me because it has a magical, powerful feel to it.

"Call her whatever you want, just get on the damn horse," he griped as I moved to the side and stabilized myself by positioning one leg in the stirrup and the other on top of the horse's back.

"Have you ever even ridden a horse before?" He questions, clearly doubting my skill,

"I know what I'm doing, Cardan."

Yesterday's dress drapes over one side of the horse and stretches somewhat in the middle. Her back is broad, and she appears to be well-nourished, groomed, and exercised.

"All right," he says as he wipes the dust from his sleeve, "I'll send a rider to bring her back here by tomorrow or after."

"Got it."

"Take care of my horse, and safe travels, princess," he taunts, knowing just how much I hate that nickname.

"Fuck off," I scowl, giving Eclipse a gentle kick to get her moving.

She starts walking and as she walks, my waist stays in sync with her movement, we make it out to the garden and out of the stable. I'm not sure what to make of all of this as Cardan stands back and watches me trot away with his treasured horse.

All I know is that I'm finally getting out of this hellhole. I'm also pleased that he loathes me enough to send me away on his horse.

"Come on girl, faster, okay?" I encourage her to speed up, so I lean forward, clutching the reins and forcing my heel down into the stirrup while locking my knees and thighs tightly against her belly.

We arrive at the palace after about thirty minutes of riding.

I dismount and take her reins, bringing her to the main stable; I don't have my own horse yet since Madoc believes I don't deserve one, but that doesn't matter.

"You're such a sweetheart; you were great today!" I caressed her all over her belly and muzzle, smiling. "I can't believe you have to deal with Cardan every day, but I doubt he spends even a minute of his day nourishing you. He probably has a servant or something do it for him."

She neighs and makes a head gesture that nearly looks like she's nodding, which I find amusing. At some point, I suppose, money does lead to happiness.

"Well, I'm going for a bit now, you stay relaxed, and you have all the food you need just over there, and your water is right here," I say, pointing to her food and water and kissing her on the nose before leaving for the palace.

I need to speak with Madoc.