Chapter 20

This morning's COG had been a blur for Brittany. Not that the new plans for data mining weren't interesting to her, it was just that she had a lot to write about. Her pen rarely left her notebook. Deadlines were coming up and she still had a lot to write. Her only problem was that she wasn't sure what to write.

Lack of material wasn't the issue, she had plenty to go off of, the problem arose when she found herself hesitating to reveal too much of Santana's story, and the only reason she was here, was to tell Santana's story. But how much was too much? What was too personal? She knew, of course, that Santana and Quinn had the rights to a final edit and approval, but she didn't want it to get to that point. Brittany wanted to do it right the first time.

If she did that, if she revealed too much, she was honestly scared that she would break this delicate bridge of trust between herself and Santana. She knew that Santana had only been disclosing certain things about herself because they had become romantically involved. Maybe that had made it easier for the brunette.

Brittany glanced at the woman next to her.

Santana was listening closely to the presenter and Brittany wasn't surprised, it was her job to. Santana always took her work very seriously. Her brow was furrowed slightly as she read the notes on the screen in front of her. Brittany watched her lips tuck to one side before she took a breath and asked the presenter a question. Brittany could tell it wasn't the answer she wanted to hear by way her eyes narrowed just a twitch at the corners. She looked back to her notebook to hide a smile and Santana continued the questioning.

When she first arrived to Clockwork, she may have found Santana's ability to pick apart presentations to be ruthless. After sitting though these meetings, and seeing the presenters come back a week or so later with a better version of their original idea, Brittany didn't feel it was anything more than quality assurance. Santana was the one making all the executive decisions about these products after all. Everything that happened in this room reflected on her and Brittany knew exactly what that meant to the brunette.

"Hey," Brittany leaned over when someone else was asking the presenter a question.

"Hm?" Santana made a soft noise to let her know she was listening without drawing too much attention to them or taking her eyes away from the computer.

"Can we go somewhere for lunch?" she asked, leaning a little closer, so their shoulders brushed lightly, "Like, the park down the street?"

Santana had been reading the notes on her screen, or at least trying. The words seemed to blur as Brittany's breath tickled her ear.

"Yeah sure," she mumbled. It was so much harder to keep herself in check when even the most platonic of gestures reminded her of... not so platonic things they had done. "Wherever you want, Brittany."

Brittany grinned and shifted into her own seat fully, leaning back and crossing her legs at the knee causally. Santana's eyes were drawn by the motion, the mundane rearranging of limbs. Slender ivory limbs. She blinked back to her screen before Brittany, or anyone else, could notice her indiscretion. That woman could rock a skirt with the best of them, and those heels—Santana had been struggling to focus all morning long.

Brittany smiled to herself, because didn't need to be watching her eyes to know Santana had been checking her out. She just knew.

She swirled the tip of her pen along the paper, drawing a small doodle in the top corner. It was some sort of little amoeba monster, with an angry face and everything. She added a speech bubble for good measure. Brittany was about to write something silly in the bubble; rawr, or something to that effect, when her pen was stolen.