Chapter 17

Brittany was about to knock when the door opened in front of her. Quinn's surprised look reminded Brittany of the first time she arrived on theses steps.

"Brittany?" she stepped out onto the landing, dragging a small suitcase behind her. "What are you—"

"Quinn!" Santana's voice floated through the door, "I printed off your confirmation shit, have fun in Texas. Thanks for ditching my ass the day before the convention."

Quinn huffed, "It looks like you found a pretty nice replacement."

"What are you—" Santana's question died on her lips as she entered the threshold and found Brittany standing there. "Oh, um, hi Brittany."

"Hey," Brittany smiled back, a little amused at Santana's awkwardness and her outfit. It seemed like if she wasn't in the office, Santana's only desire was to be comfortable. Those Hollister sweatpants looked well loved and just as soft as the tee shirt clinging to her torso. The best part was her glasses, perched gently on her nose, framing dark, beautiful eyes.

"She's even blonde," Quinn smirked, snatching the papers from Santana's hands and moving down the stairs.

"You're so funny," Santana rolled her eyes, following her friend down the stairs and into her open arms.

The hug was quick but meaningful. They both wished each other luck in hushed voiced that didn't want to get too emotional. It was a big step for both of them, Quinn in her conquest against Jesse, and Santana in her battle with the pressures as the Face of Clockwork. They knew it was going to be a hard week.

"Are you sure—" Quinn hesitated suddenly, "I can ask someone else to go—I don't have to—"

"You're kidding me right?" Santana cut her off, "Quinn, you've worked so hard for this, there's no way in hell I'm going to let you throw it away to play babysitter at another convention."

Quinn bit her lip, nodding sharply to herself, "Call me, if you need anything, alright?"

"I'll be fine," Santana crossed her arms over her chest in a small effort to save face in front of Brittany. Honestly, it was embarrassing to have Quinn this worried about her. "I can take care of myself."

"You're right," Quinn pulled her into another hug and waved to Brittany, sending a silent message with her eyes. "Take care, Britt."

"I will," she sent Quinn the same subtle message back. She would take care, of Santana. "Good luck."

Only after that did Quinn finally feel comfortable enough to climb into the waiting cab and leave for the airport. Santana watched the yellow car disappear from view and looked up to Brittany on her steps.

Santana climbed the steps and Brittany watched her glance one more time towards the street that Quinn had disappeared down. She looked a little fragile, with her arms crossed over her chest protectively, scuffing her feet as she walked.

Because it seemed like the right thing to do at the time, Brittany wrapped her up in her arms as soon as she was within reach. It took a moment for Santana to sink into the contact, resting her forehead on Brittany's shoulder.

"You're going to be alright."

"I know," Santana shrugged in her arms, "it's just a week."

"Yeah," she kissed the top of Santana's head, and hoped that she would be enough to keep her spirits up. Might as well stick to her original plan, "You ready to play?"

Santana pulled away to offer the blonde a small but since smile, "Lets go kill something."

_______________