Chapter 8

"Yes, thank you," Quinn sighed, leaning back in her chair, closing her eyes and propping her feet up on her desk.

Her heels had been forgotten under her desk long ago, soft music was playing from her computer. The morning had been wasted playing phone tag with the convention people for the past hour. Put on hold, transferred, questioned, put on hold, forgotten, remembered, transferred. She hated organizing these things. She was so glad Kurt was back in town to give her a little help.

"We're sorry, Mr. Jasper isn't available at this time," the voice sounded board and uninterested in this conversation. "May I take a message?"

"This is Quinn Fabray, from Clockwork Technologies," she tried to sound as professional as possible, running her hand over her face and covering her eyes from the harsh fluorescent blubs above her. "I'm calling in regards to the convention on the twenty-seventh. If you could have him give me a call, that would be great."

"Will do, ma'am."

Somehow, Quinn doubted her message would be passes along, but she mumbled her thanks and ended the call. Giving into her juvenile side, she threw the cordless across the room with an aggravated huff, growling, "Will do ma'am my ass, bitch probably didn't even write down my name."

She took in a long breath, trying to count to ten and forget her annoyance.

"That would be her loss then."

A soft voice startled Quinn into nearly falling out of her gripped her desk for balance as she tried to catch her breath, looking up to find Rachel Berry, editor-in-chief standing in between her desk and the door. She had an odd sort of smile on her face that made Quinn blush lightly.

She took another step forward, speaking with a exaggerated softness to tease theblonde, "Sorry for startling you, your door was ajar, and I didn't realize you were a jumper."

"Um," Quinn sat a little straighter, pushing her hair back into place. "Don't worry about it. I was just... on the phone."

Rachel smiled wider, setting the cordless on the desk between them. Quinn stared at it for a moment, realizing that the brunette must have seen her throw it. How embarrassing.

"You dropped this."

Quinn blushed harder, coughing into her fist, "Yes, um, thank you."

"Rachel Berry," she held out her hand, "I know we've met before, however briefly, at Brittany's presentation, but I would like to introduce myself to you now."

"Quinn Fabray," Quinn mumbled, standing to shake her hand and trying to meet the warm brown eyes that were staring back at her. "It's nice to meet you."

"Likewise," Rachel chuckled and took back her hand, using it to push a strand of hair behind her ear. She pulled a manilla envelope out of her satchel and laid it down on the desk next to the cordless. "I came to bring you this."

Quinn picked it up, eager to busy herself with something.

"It's my half of the contract authorization," she explained needlessly as Quinn was taking the papers out of the envelope and looking them over for herself.

"You didn't have to bring them over personally," Quinn said not unkindly. She wondered why a woman would of Rachel's position would have made the trip just to hand over some documents. She could have easily assigned a courier.

"I know," she shrugged sheepishly. "I find it refreshing to get out of the office on a regular basis, and I hold a strict policy to meet the people my employees are working with in these sorts of long term situations. I like to make sure everyone is taken care of and Brittany is no exception to that fact. It is my understanding, that you will serve as the... mediator of sorts between Miss Lopez, Clockwork, and my publication?"