September 1996

"Happy birthday!" Tina exclaimed as Lucy and Draco entered together.

"Thank you." She replied, accepting a hug and gift off Tina.

As they were talking amongst themselves, Crabbe and Goyle joined them and the five of them headed to the great hall for breakfast.

They sat down at the table and began filling their plates as Pansy, Daphne, Blaise and Theo made their way in, finding seats around the others.

As they were eating, Professor Snape began making his usual rounds, dropping off class schedules to all the students. As sixth year students, Lucy and the others didn't have to take as many classes this year.

She grabbed the parchment in front of her as Professor Snape dropped it down. She had five N.E.W.T. classes; Defense Against the Dark Arts, Potions, Herbology, Transfiguration and Charms, which left a lot of spare time, something Lucy was looking forward too, though she knew her workload would take up most of her spare time anyway.

She had the same classes as Draco and four of the same classes with Tina, who opted to stick with Care for Magical Creatures instead of Defense Against the Dark Arts.

That morning they had their first potions class with Professor Slughorn. He was introducing himself to the class when Harry and Ron burst through the door.

As Professor Slughorn instructed Harry and Ron to grab books out of the cupboard, he turned to the rest of the class. "As I was saying, I've prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?" He asked, pointing to the three cauldrons before him on the bench.

Hermione immediately shot her hand up, "yes Miss.?" He said pointing to her.

"Granger, sir." She said, answering him. She began explaining the potions before the class, "that one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling serum." She explained. Lucy's eyes immediately met Draco's and the two shared a smirk, remembering its effects. "And that would be Polyjuice Potion, it's terribly tricky to make. This is Amortentia. The most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them." She explained. "For example, I smell freshly mowed grass and new parchment, spearmint toothpaste." She added smelling the potion.

"Very good, now Amortentia doesn't create actual love. That would be impossible." Professor Slughorn explained. "But it does cause powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room. Not to worry, we will learn about this one later on in the year." He exclaimed.

"Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one." A Gryffindor girl, Katie Bell, called out, pointing to a small vile.

"Oh, yes. What you see before you ladies and gentlemen, is a curious little potion known as Felix Felicis. But it is more commonly known as-" He began to say before Lucy answered.

"Liquid luck." She said.

"Yes, Miss?" Slughorn asked her.

"Parcivall, sir." She answered.

"Ah, Lucy Parcivall. Daughter of Alissa and Ellion. Your father was a bright student of mine." Professor Slughorn exclaimed with excitement. "Desperately tricky to make," he continued to say about the potion, "disastrous should you get it wrong. But brewed correctly, as this has been, it has remarkable powers. One sip and you will find that all your endeavors succeed. At least until the effects wear off." He finished. Lucy looked to Draco who was listening closely as the Professor explained that the student who managed to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Death would receive the vile of Liquid Luck.

As the students began to brew their potions, Lucy noticed Draco eyeing the liquid luck sitting atop Professor Slughorn's desk almost all class.

"What's gotten into you?" She whispered to him, breaking his gaze from the vile.