189 - Rebecca

During sleep, it was almost like I was an animal of some sort. I hadn't expected when I went to sleep this morning that I'd wake up to the smell of coffee, yet there I was sniffing the air like a dog before I opened my eyes. I didn't know the time, only that Colby wasn't lying next to me.

My eyes flicked around the room for a second in darkness trying to see what was there until I spotted a shadow walking toward me at a human pace. I knew that shadow well.

Colby sat down on the bed next to me with a coffee cup in one hand and a small paper bag in the other. My eyes narrowed on him as he gave me a soft smile. "Did you do something wrong?" I asked hesitantly, reaching out for the coffee.

He chuckled. "No, I didn't."

"You're being suspicious."

He didn't reply to that, only placed the paper bag on my lap and zipped around the bed to sit next to me. I couldn't help myself when I took a huge sip of the coffee—it was my favourite, obviously. I happened to glance over my phone at the same time to see the screen was lit up.

Glancing down at the food then up at Colby's face, I quickly realised what was going on.

"Who told you?" I demanded.

"What?"

"Colby, who the fuck told you?"

There was a moment of silence then he sighed. "Angela."

"Ugh, I'm gonna kill her!" I almost slammed the coffee down on the bedside table as I tried to get up. Colby grabbed my hips and forced me back down next to him. He moved the paper bag so I didn't kick it off.

"She warned us, too," Colby said slowly, keeping eye contact with me. "None of us are going to say anything except her."

"Like you all have that much control," I grumbled. "Does she have anything planned?"

He hesitated. "Not necessarily." When I glared at him, he continued, "She just said she's going to let you do whatever you want. It is your-"

I cut him off, "Shut the fuck up." He started to smirk, making me scowl and turn away toward the food he'd brought me. He sat there silently with me while I ate it, though I could tell he wanted to talk.

With everything going on, I'd completely forgotten about the date. I was sure I must have missed Angela's "big day," but I didn't care about that. I'd never liked this day and I refused to ever let that change. If what I wanted happened, I'd never have to worry about it again anyway.

By the time I was finished eating, Colby was smiling to himself. I could only imagine the shit he was overhearing from downstairs and a huge part of me wanted to know what that was. They could be doing anything down there—including talking shit about me. I wouldn't put it past them, after all.

As I started to get up to walk to the bathroom, my wrist was caught and I was pulled back a couple of steps. I looked at Colby's face almost annoyed but he was unphased. "One thing," he said, nodding to the couch. "Angela wants you to wear that."

My eyes landed on a pale, red, short dress lying neatly across the couch—definitely the work of my sister. It looked like it'd been made for someone who didn't have curves but wanted to pretend that they did as it had a low-cut neck and drew in at the waist. It was a pretty dress, but not my style.

"No," I finally said as I snatched my hand back. "I'm wearing what I want." Colby raised a brow at me without responding. I gave him a look before I continued on my way to the bathroom. I heard his low chuckle just as the door was closing.

After a shower, I decided to be just a tiny bit nice to my sister. I wasn't going to wear something I usually wore, though I wasn't going to wear her dress, either. I had curves and I wasn't afraid to show them—I wasn't afraid of showing my skin, either.