Seven steps to tie a knot

Start from the beginning

Outside her balcony, there were people waving and cheering at her. Dozens of flowers and gifts arrived at the palace for her.

Her popularity seemed to soar. Dilruba was happy that her plan seemed to move in the right direction.

It would be extremely difficult to kill a figure who was in the limelight. And she made sure she was in the linelight. On the ocassion of her wedding, she ordered the kitchen to make breads which she then ordered to be distributed outside the palace.

Inside the palace too, she helped out in various tasks. Learning about the ladies and their life was intriguing. She had learnt that they all arrived early at dawn and left at the first light of dusk.

Once while roaming the palace idly,she heard giggles and familar deep rumble, peeked hiding behind the corner and saw him. Beside him was a woman of slender stature, her long dark hair was pinned in an elegant fashion.

What surprised her was his broad smile while he talked to her. Jealousy took root in her heart.

She turned the corner to leave and saw the vizier block her path. He had a sinister glare on his face.

"I know what you're doing. It won't save you, Miss."

Dilruba squared her shoulders abd tipped her nose, "It's your highness to you."

"What?"

"I am engaged to the king. The king's fiancè has to be addressed as your highess."

"Dilruba!" A growl sounded from behind her. The hairs on Dilruba's neck stood upright. Fear lodged in her heart as she turned to him.

He didn't even seemed to fazed that he had called her by her name. Dilruba clutched hands to stop them from shaking.

"Your majesty!" She bowed. Once she looked up, she saw the woman beside him. Dilruba found her the most beautiful. Her face was angelic.

"You have to apologise." The mad king addressed Dilruba. Her heart couldn't contain the hatred she had for him anymore. She looked at him with all the hatred he could muster.

"I ask for forgiveness your majesty but I will not heed this order of yours." She had relayed in a frigid tone. And once again after bowing to the mad king, she turned arounf and left.

***

Thunder and lightening rumbled in the sky matching her mood. She did not know when her legs carried her to the garden she had been in, in the morning.

The sky was dark and wind blew harder indicating the arrival if rain. And moments later, the rain lashed all over.

All her memories flashed in front if her eyes,the screams if her family, the first time she decided to whore herself out if hunger. She clenched her fist.

The cold rain pounded on her head,it did help her with her temperament. She squeezed her eyes shut. She fought tears, refusing to cry.

When she opened her eyes,the mad king stood before her. Drenched in the rain, his hair matted, his eyes as dark as the cloudy sky.

Raindrops dripped down his nose anf his lips.

"Get inside." His bouce carried over the blasting rain.

She stood defiantly. She wanted to show him, she wasn't obligated to do as he said, that she wasn't scared of him. He grabbed her hand and led her to her chambers.

He shut the door behind her. The raging rain muted in the background, there was a bigger storm brewing in the room.

He let out a loud huff and combed his hair back. "Change and then we'll talk."