The Way We Are Now

Start from the beginning

Nash studies Chad silently. He's unsure of Chad's honesty, but lying about having cancer would be a new low even for Chad.

"I just want to spend my last few weeks with my children. What I did is unforgivable, but losing Elizabeth changed me. I want you to remember me as I was before she... she died." He pleads, he can feel his stomach churning. He hasn't had actual food in 3 days, he lost his job and he's about to be kicked out from the motel because of non payment.

Nash tilts his head as he continues to study Chad.

"Fuck off," Cameron replies flatly, he doesn't buy Chad's story at all.

"Please Nash, for the family that we were before that horrible night," Chad gets choked up thinking about the phone call he received, the panic he felt as he loaded the kids into car and drove to the hospital. The devastation when the doctors weren't able to save her. It was so sudden, so unexpected. How was he supposed to function without the love of his life? He started drinking to forget, he never intended for things to be this way. He feels a pang of regret for how he treated Nash, for how he's lying to him now just to get money.

"I have nowhere to go, Nash. My job fired me when they found out I was sick and wouldn't be able to get to work. I'm staying at the Motel 8 but I only have a few more days left there before they kick me out, I haven't had any real food in 3 days." Chad lies, trying to elicit some form of sympathy from Nash. He knows Nash can now afford to give him money it's just a matter of finding the right thing to say to get him to do it.

Nash's stance isn't as rigid anymore, he crosses his arms and glances at Cameron.

Chad looks hopeful, he feels hopeful that he might have said the right thing to get what he wants.

"What is it exactly that you want, Chad?" Nash asks him, he knows already but he wants to hear Chad say it, he wants to hear him beg for it. Nash will never be able to forgive him for the humiliation he had to go through every week to get money to pay the bills that were Chad's responsibility.

"Any money that you can give would be helpful. I'd be able to get the medicine the doctor prescribed me, I can't afford it." The web of lies that Chad weaves continues to get intricate.

"How much money is it that you need?" Nash asks him and Cameron gives him a surprised look, he can't believe that Nash is actually contemplating giving his ex-abuser money.

Chad's mind races to find the perfect number to tell Nash. "3 grand would help me, I'd be able to find a home, pay for my medicines and doctor's appointments. It would give me time to find a new job."

"3,000?" Nash asks a small smile playing on his lips.

Chad nods at him. "Please Nash, I beg you. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't so sick."

"Why would you need to find a new job if you only have weeks to live?" Nash asks and Chad freezes, he stutters trying to think of a way to cover up the lie.

"You're so fucking pathetic, Chad. Coming to your 18 year old son for money and lying about having cancer. Did you really think bringing up mom's death would do you any favors?" Nash asks bitterly.

"Even if your pathetic story was true I still wouldn't give you money. Not because of what you did to me but because of what you did to Hayes. You scarred him for life. You deserve everything bad thing that comes your way. Now get the fuck off the property before I beat Cameron to the rifle and shoot you myself." Nash finishes in the same bitter tone. He lets out a big breath when Chad gets into his car and drives away.

He turns to Cameron immediately, seeking comfort from his boyfriend. Cameron wraps his arms around Nash and hugs him tightly. He rubs Nash's back tenderly and presses a soft kiss on the side of his neck.

"You did so good, baby." He whispers encouragingly. "I'm proud of you."

Nash lets out a ragged breath. "I can't believe he brought up the death of my mom, that was so fucking low. It was so hard to maintain my composure, how can he be so cruel?"

"Because he's a selfish, self-centered asshole. He doesn't deserve to be the father of 3 wonderful, beautiful human beings." Cameron replies, he pulls back slightly and presses a tender kiss on his lips. "I love you so much, Nash. You and the kids are quite literally my world. I'm so lucky to be able to call you guys my family.

Nash can't stop the tears from falling, Cameron's words make him feel so loved and appreciated. It amazes Nash every day when he wakes up that Cameron accepted him and his siblings without any problem, he embraced all 3 of them completely.

"Thank you so much, baby. For giving Skylynn and Hayes the life that they deserve. For making it possible for us to leave that abusive asshole. I don't know where I would be without you. My feelings for you are indescribable, it feels like so much more than love." Nash whispers tenderly in Cameron's ear. He kisses him softly, gently moving his lips over Cameron's.

Cameron strokes Nash's cheek gently as they pull away from their kiss.

"I'm sorry for pulling you away from your work," Nash says, feeling guilty for interrupting an important phone call.

"Baby, don't ever apologize for that. You are my number one priority. Don't ever be afraid to interrupt me, Nash. Promise?" Cameron asks ardently.

Nash gives Cameron a shy smile and nods at him. "I promise."

Cameron places a delicate kiss on Nash's lips and they get lost in their kiss.

A/N- Getting closer to the end. <3 I'm going to miss this story. Comment your thoughts I love reading them.