21 Chrysanthemums

Start from the beginning

He's herding us to my car.

There are only two cars, the other is dark blue. Cobb's car.

I unlock the doors right as Nora reaches for the handle. Rain soaks through my shirt, and the wind pushes into my wet skin.

I open my door, and the wind shoving against the door causes it to swing open for a moment, making me fear it will snap off. Tossing my umbrella in the back, I grab hold of my door with both hands and pull it shut.

Cobbs make his way up the alley, but it looks like he's angled for his car and not mine.

I push a button to start the ignition, and my engine purrs to life. Nora's jaw trembles, her teeth chattering slightly, and I crank up the heat.

"I have a spare shirt in my back seat."

She's wearing slacks today instead of a dress. It's irksome that I have the ability to dry us off and can't use it.

"I can't take your shirt. You should use it."

As I reach back and grab it, I use the opportunity to check out the rear window. Cobbs is in his car.

I hand her the gray button up. "Please."

She bites her lip, probably to keep me from seeing her teeth chattering.

"Please," I say again.

She relents, taking the shirt into her hands. "Thank you. Am I . . . do I just go ahead?"

I glance in her direction to make sure there isn't a car coming. "I won't look." Cobbs shouldn't be able to see her.

She starts to peel off her black soaked blouse, and I fiddle with the heat more.

She laughs for the first time in a while. She hasn't voiced it, but I'm certain she's been angry at me since that day Dad met her. "I think we're making it more awkward by acting like it's awkward. You can start driving." I hear the heavy rustle of wet fabric. "It's not as if I've got much to hide."

"It's not awkward," I mumble and peel my hand away from the heat controls. As I settle back in my seat, I catch a glimpse of dark green lace. My throat goes dry—is that one of the bras Dad picked out for her? That thought is enough to make me sick.

I put the car in drive, checking the rearview mirror for any other cars besides Cobbs's, and pull out of the space.

There's a flash of fabric in the corner of my eye as she pulls on my shirt. "I hope that didn't make you too uncomfortable."

"Of course not." She doesn't need to know I've never had any sort of girlfriend, never been near a girl without her shirt on or had a girl wear one of mine.

"I'm sorry if my friend embarrassed you the other day. In the park."

I feel heat creep up my neck. "It's fine. We're really not dating though."

"She was the person who welcomed me to Somnia."

I nod. "I know. She told me after we left you." What would Nora do if she knew I was standing behind that mirror?

"I'm not trying to ask a smart question, but I just . . ."

"Don't understand why we'd need to have a meeting?"

Her silence is answer enough.

"You know I do more than just handle letters. Meeting with her was part of my welcoming committee duties."