Air was almost embarrassed by how concerned Jet seemed to be about him.  He kept asking if Air had what he needed and touching him reassuringly on the shoulder.  "Remember,  we're only three hours away.  If you change your mind and want to leave...  day or night..."  

The last thing Jet said:  

"Don't stay too long Nong.  The farm won't be the same without you."

...

The orphanage was smaller than he remembered.  Air placed his foot on the cracked and dirty concrete stair where he was found almost nineteen years ago.  He looked up at the sign over the door;  some of the letters were missing, and one hung upside-down.

There was good news,  the front doors had been painted recently, someone cleaned the brass numbers and handle.  It looked as though someone had swept the area.

Park appeared frazzled and older, but his smile was the same,  and so was the kind way he treated Air. 
Park wanted to know if Air was tired, hungry or thirsty as they walked down familiar halls.
He thanked him for making the trip and filled Air in on a grave situation. 

The newly painted front door wasn't the only good news,  Park told Air that the population of the institution had never been lower. 
He had no explanation for that,  but he smiled as he mentioned it.

Changes had been made since they talked only a day ago.  All classes were suspended and the kids who weren't sick were kept separated from anyone with symptoms.  The gymnasium was being used for the boys with mild fevers,  diarrhea and vomiting. 
When and if the fever reached dangerous levels,  the boy would be moved to the infirmary. 
The infirmary,  already near capacity and short-staffed.

As it turned out,  Air was the only adult available to supervise the dorm building.  It housed boys of all ages,  including infants.   Park showed him the nursery and the two tiny ones that called it home. 
His eyes were full of sympathy when he said:  "I don't think you'll be getting much sleep while you're here Nong.  These two are a lot of work."

The undertaking seemed overwhelming but it wasn't what struck Air the hardest. 
It was what he said so naturally in reply to Park:  "Don't worry P',  I can sleep when I get back home."

Air's own words tickled his heart.  He said them again.  "Back home."

...

Air didn't know what to expect when he walked through the doors.  He wasn't sure if he'd missed the place or the comradeship that came naturally between boys with no parents. 
The institution stayed true to itself and the general dreariness was the same.  It was the faces of the boys and the curiosity in their eyes that reminded him of his kinship to this place.  No matter how far away he moved,  he would always be from here.  

What was most different was that Air didn't belong here anymore. Not because he had a sharp haircut that made his sweet face sweeter.  and not because the clothes he was wearing were simple but really nice. 
The sad truth was that Air was never adopted, but,  he felt like he had a family now.  Air wanted to see Del and hear his voice. He missed the farm and Fair.  He missed the way Green sometimes called him Son.  Air missed Pilot and his warm furry back.   He missed...  

He missed... Chester's kiss.