Breakfast

I suck guys. I'm really sorry for not updating for the past couple of months. First, my mom passed, and then I got busy. But from now on I will publish a chapter at least once a month. I promise.

Nicaraguan Historic Sites Visitor Center

April 26

0630 hours

"Oh god," I groaned, covering my face with my hands. "This is just perfect."

That earned me a kick in the shin from Erica. Apparently I was supposed to be excited that Murray had decided to join us. I collapsed, glaring up at Erica as I rubbed my leg. She shrugged indifferently.

Meanwhile, Murray was attempting to kick up his zip-tied feet onto the rotunda's counter. He heaved his lower body upwards only to tumble back down, taking the chair with him. I quickly stood back up, limping a little as I did so. I had learned over the past few months to keep a bit of distance from the dingbat whenever possible.

Said dingbat had recovered from his fall and was now wheeling around in the chair to face us. Erica tensed up, ready to attack. "Keep your panties on, Alice!" Murray exclaimed, immediately following up with "sorry, sorry, I didn't mean that." Erica sniffed at him, staring into his eyes with a burning rage. Murray, ever the defiant one, stared right back. As they continued to stare, their eyes narrowed. I cleared my throat to relieve some of the tension in the room

"Are you two done?" They both snapped their heads towards me. "Thank you. Okay Murray, we know that you wouldn't pick a battle you can't win for no reason-" I started.

"So why would you attack us?" Erica finished.

Murray only chuckled, a rather annoying laugh that sounded like an alp trying to make dolphin noises. Sitting up straighter, he gave his answer. "You two have still got it!" he exclaimed in awe. "I never will get used to smart agents. Let's see... I'm here because there was this attack on a cute little stone that all of Spain seems to care about - even though it's not their territory - and I figured that a certain couple would be down here to check it out. I also figured that the couple in question would love to hear all about who really did this," he drawled out, noting the intrigued glance that I shared with Erica.

"A-ha. I was right. Well, do you want to hear what happened or not?"

                                                                                         <*>

Murray had absolutely nothing to share with us about what happened. This was typical, so I halfway expected it. However, what I did not expect was the wealth of information about the Croatoan that Murray could blab over a tres leches cake.

So far, we had learned that our last incident was a set-up; Agent Durkee was never the head of Croatoan. She was simply a patsy, just like the rest of us. The previous plan, had it been successful, would have been a plus. But it was only a diversion from the organization of a better plan; one to blow up a sacred Aztec monument.

The only problem was that Murray had no idea what purpose blowing Archipielago Zapatera served. Without that bit of information, he was about as useful as a bump on a log.

I walked over to the buffet that Erica was at, keeping my eye trained on Murray. I didn't think that we would have any problems though, because he was still happily digging into his dessert.

"What do you think?" I whispered to her. "Can we trust him?"

Erica gave me an unsure look and shrugged. "Well, we already knew half of what he told us, and he has no idea why they blew up the monument," she faltered, going into deep thought.

"Well he is our only lead." Erica nodded at that. "And he usually tells the truth right until we get close to it." She nodded again. "So I say that we ditch him when we start figuring things out"

Erica finished putting food on her plate and turned to me. "You're right - we should. But right now, we can trust him."

Right now, we could trust Murray Hill. He was our only lead. He was our only choice.

Did they make the right choice? Did they??? Did they??? Who knows, tbh.

-Carley