xiii. playing with fire

chapter 13 - playing with fire

They say that for every minute you remain angry, you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind. Of course that may be true, but that thought can certainly be contradicted, because it has also been said that anger is a necessary stage of the healing process. "Be willing to feel your anger, even though it may seem endless. The more you truly feel it, the more it will begin to dissipate and the more you will heal." Those words in particular are why Dakota found herself breaking through the wall's of denial and heading straight towards the next stage of grief: anger.

Kota finally came to the realization that these traumatic events were indeed happening to her. This was now her life. A world filled to the brink with pain and suffering, that she would have to continue living in without the presence of both Lincoln and Lexa. It was that very thought that kept the raging fire inside of her burning feverishly, while Charles Pike himself continued to toss fuel onto the flames, waiting for her to lose control and explode.

Well, guess what Charles? She thought to herself. Finally, you lit the last match.

You see, Kota's internal fire was now a blazing conflagration, and it was going to wipe out everything in it's path, leaving nothing but ashes and lingering smoke in it's wake...

__________

The journey back to the cave from Arkadia was filled with absolute silence. The tension in the air was overbearing and no one dared to say a word. Kota was lingering in the back of the group, with Octavia directly by her side. Her eyes were severely bloodshot, but completely dry, because she didn't think she had anymore tears left, and her mind was running at full speed. At this point she wasn't even sure if she was thinking clearly anymore.

All she could think about was the anger overflowing inside of her, the bittersweet craving for revenge, and the final resolution of "to hell with wanting peace."

One by one the resistance group entered the cave, where Bellamy's head instantly perked up as he watched them walk in. After Miller, Bryan and Harper appeared, his eyes quickly landed on Sinclair first, followed by Kane, Octavia, and then Dakota, who had a very distant look in her eyes. However, not one of them said a word, and someone was missing, causing Bellamy to furrow his eyebrows.

"Where's Lincoln?" He asked, and though his question seemed innocent, to Kota, it felt like he had just took the knife in her heart and pushed it deeper.

"Pike put a bullet in his brain..." She whispered menacingly, closing her eyes as she couldn't help but remember the way Lincoln's body collapsed into the mud.

"Kota I-....I'm so sorry." Bellamy replied, looking towards her.

However, as she opened her eyes once more to see his face that was plastered with guilt and remorse, there was not an ounce of forgiveness left in her heart for him.