Prologue

Working the forge, as I do every day, soldiers leading carts of Stormcloak rebels to the headsman's block. I didn't dare interfere, no matter my thoughts on the war, for fear of ending up with them and leaving my pregnant wife, Kari, behind to raise our child alone.

From the distance I could slightly hear the shouting of a man; a criminal.

"...My ancestors are smiling at me, Imperials. Can you say the same!?"

Nothing but silence, afterwards.

A few minutes pass, and I finish my latest project as my wife waddles over.

Smiling from ear to ear, I say, "Darling, Wife, what are you doing? You know the priest said you shouldn't be walking about when it is so close to the baby coming."

"I know, Dear, but I couldn't stand to be separated for much longer."

Setting my finished war-axe, I bring my arm around Kari's lower back and begin to lead her back to our cottage.

"I suppose I can take the rest of the day off. You shouldn't be alone this far along."

As we reach the door, a loud screech rings out.

"Henrik, what was that?"

"I don't know but you shou-"

Suddenly, a loud whoosh comes down and lands on the tower where the headsman and guards are.

"Kari, get inside now!"

Running over to my smith, I grab my sword. However, as soon as I turn around I see flames engulfing the front of my house; my wife lying on the ground.

"Kari!"

Rushing back over to her, I put the flames out on her; but I wasn't fast enough. Gasping for air, she croaks out, "I-I love yo-"

Coughing, blood comes out and spills all over her chin and drips on to her chest.

"Shh, shhh, don't speak," I say, with tears spilling down my face.

Smiling up at me, she continues. "I love you, Henrik. Don't worry, our daughter and I will be okay."

My heart broke, knowing that this is the moment I found out what my child was.

Her eyes slowly started to shut.

"Kari! No, don't die. Don't die on me!"

A smile is all I got in response, before her last breath came out and her eyes glazed over."

Barely able to speak, I croak out, "Kari..."

And I pour my tears out over her, as I held her close; her head leaning against my chest.