Chapter 10-The Battle between the three years

Start from the beginning

"Ayanokouji Kun" I heard a silent voice calling me.

It was the younger Horikita. Nagumo and Manabu also looked at her.

"Nee San, I think you should race with Ayanokouji Kun on the final position." Her voice showed how hurt she was. I sighed internally, if I talked with her anymore there was no doubt she would break down. That's why I answered to get this over with.

"Fine, I'll race on the last position." I said not looking at Horikita. I knew what she was feeling, that she is inferior than me. But I didn't have time to comfort her. I have more pressing issues at the moment

Me, elder Horikita and Nagumo were standing on the final position. Most people would be feeling excited getting to compete with the student council president and secretary Nagumo Miyabi. But I wasn't feeling anything.

Class D had already lost the sports festival. Though the penalties weren't that huge, the private points prizes were huge. In that sense they can be calculated as loss too.

But did I care. No, I didn't care about the point gain and point loss of the classes. I already knew the outcome of this festival.

So, it won't hurt if I get a little serious will it?

Fine if Horikita and Nagumo want to go against me, then for the first time since entering this school. I will get serious.

But I still can't come first. Because there is a reason Manabu is the student council president. I need to be careful. He is definitely planning something. I have a slight idea what his plan might be, but I still want to go with the flow.

I was curious. Curious to know how strong Horikita Manabu actually was.

Clap!!

The race had started. Sudou had given class D a very huge headstart. His speed wasn't even comparable to other people in his row. Even the third years and second years were being mercilessly defeated. By the time Sudou reached the second runner from class D we were leading 3rd year class A which was second by 36 meters. The second runner for our class was kushida. She had taken the baton and was running at her best speed. But it was a fact that she couldn't beat third year and second year.

Slowly 1st year Class D lost its lead to 2nd and 3rd year Class A. Kushida almost lost to 3rd year Class D too. The third runner who took a brilliant sprint was Horikita Suzune. She was pouring her feelings into every step she took.

I looked at Elder Horikita who was standing beside me,

"I think I have an idea what you are planning, but what makes you think that I would run seriously." I asked him.

He just chuckled, "I think you understand exactly why you would race seriously don't you."

He was right. This has all been a clever setup by him. I had done only one mistake in todays sport festival. I should have not slowed down during Sudou's race. Now Sudou and many other people in the class knew that I was holding back that time to let sudo win. But I can't use that excuse now can I. I would surely be criticized, if I were to deliberately run slow and most probably would lose all the trust, I had earned during the uninhabited island test.

For the first time in my five months as a student in this school, I didn't have a choice but to become serious. But being serious didn't necessarily mean that I would have to come first in the race. I will respectfully come third or second just a few steps behind the succeeding runner. But from what I knew of Horikita Manabu, he must have already thought this.

What was elder Horikita thinking. I hadn't interacted with elder Horikita much to predict how he worked. Truth to be told we had talked only three times during my time here. In short, he was a mysterious person to me.