17 | the truth hurts more than a lie

Sana decides to go with Nayeon in her house, leaving Momo and Mina to talk amongst themselves while waiting.

"So..." Momo tries to clear the awkward air. "You dance, huh?"

Mina nods her head. "Ballet. Heard you dance too."

Another nod, and then five minutes of silence.

Both Momo and Mina hate the feeling of silence, especially one with so much awkward tension in it. It doesn't take long for both of them to realise that Sana really is the only talker between them.

Momo taps her foot on the ground, and Mina pulls out her phone to play something.

Glancing over at the screen, Momo realises it's the game version of an anime she's been binge-watching lately.

"You're into Hyouka too?" Momo quips, and Mina give a thumbs up with her free thumb.

"My older brother got me into it. This is the only thing I'll praise him for, though." Mina continues on solving the puzzles in the game. "It also helps with my brain skills or whatever. The anime is sick too."

"I loved the anime. It was so mysterious, yet so romantic and cute at the same time. Still kinda disappointed the two leads didn't end up together."

"Especially-after-that-summer-ova-" Mina sticks her tongues out whilst playing, a feature of hers that Momo finds endearing.

"Yeah, and the last episode too. Chitanda and Oreki deserved better. The writers really left us hanging." Momo laughs to herself. "You seem to be really enjoying that game."

"What can I say? I like competition." Mina says in a teasing kind of way. "Also, I'm happy I have someone to rant to about Hyouka. That ending was so unsatisfying!"

"Right?!" Momo agrees. "It just leaves us with her by a cherry blossom tree and that's that. I wish there were more though."

"It's like you read my mind."

Soon enough, the cold doesn't seem so cold anymore as Momo and Mina bond over their love for Hyouka and several other animes, especially childhood cartoons that they both enjoyed.

"Hey, my fellow anime gamer lovers, let's get this show on the road!" Sana finally leaves the house, and pats the two on the back. "It seems as if you two found something to bond over."

Momo and Mina pack their stuff and get ready to run up to Sana who is already leaving them.

"You know, if you two ever end up dating, you'd better give me the credit for being cupid. And if you get married after that, make me the maid-of-honour." Sana teases, and Momo finds herself blushing—real hard.

"Very funny, unnie." Mina smiles, looking at Momo, who is practically frozen. "You seem cold. Take my scarf, your face is all red." Mina removes her scarf and wraps it around Momo's cheeks.

She then runs off to catch up with Sana, leaving Momo to switch herself back into reality.

*****

Nayeon watches through her window and sees Momo standing still after Mina has just wrapped her scarf around Momo's face.

"Those two." She huffs, closing the blinds and heading downstairs, where she needs to ask her dad about something.

It seems as if he's on the phone, however, and Nayeon is just about to turn back to her room when she hears Jeongyeon's name in the conversation.

"Yes, Yoo." Her father sighed. "She's coming back to school in two days, you'd better compensate me for ruining my school reputation."

Nayeon can't help but creep in further, wanting to hear more of the conversation.

"Yes, it is your psycho son who is causing the good rep of the school to change! I get that you want me to keep Jeongyeon in this school so that you can get her later on, but can you do it some other non-illegal way?" There's a small pause as the other person on the phone speaks. "The only reason why Jeongyeon got in was because of your money. I'd better be seeing six digits of numbers in my bank account or your daughter is going on the streets."

Nayeon feels like she's being strangled.

She wishes she had just walked away now.

The principal of Hanlim High is getting into a deal with Jeongyeon's father, which could cost him his job and his entire life's work.

"Yoo. Listen to me. You can get your daughter back whenever you want. She's been getting close to my Nayeon and I don't want her to fall for your enemy of a daughter." Principal Im stops. "I can't guarantee I can keep them away. You'd better come here and get her soon."

Nayeon rushed back to her room as quickly and quietly as she can.

Whatever the hell she just learned today, she has no idea how to keep it a secret. There are so many new things revolving around her head, and right now, being rejected by Jeongyeon is the least of her problems.

*****

"You are kidding me!" Jihyo yells over the phone. "Does Jeongyeon know about this?"

"No, she doesn't. And I don't plan on telling her." Nayeon bites her nail as she's multi-tasking, trying to whip up a plan at the same time. "Will Jeongyeon have to relocate again?"

"No. Her father will just keep catching her again and again."

"So what am I meant to do? Do you know?"

"I don't know either, Im."

*****

Dahyun runs up to Sana in the corridor, greeting her with a huge hug.

"Oh, Dubu!" Sana smiles, looking down. "What's up? You look happy."

"Yeah, well, remember when you asked me for my brother who's in IT? Basically, I asked him to search up who you were looking for, and it came out with these files. I haven't read them yet but-" Dahyun says, but Sana quickly kisses her cheek and runs off with the file.

Upon arriving at the library, Sana fits herself into a cozy spot and opens the file.

-
YOON JEONGHAN
DOB: Oct 4 1995
PARENTS: Yoo Siwoo, Han Youngmi
SIBLINGS: Yoo Jeongyeon (half-sibling), Yoon Sanha (Full)
CRIMINAL CHARGES: next page

Notes
Yoon Jeonghan was the first in line for Power Ltd.
-

Sana mentally noted that she would have to search up that company later.

-
Growing up with two siblings, he ran away from home at the age of 15, and enrolled in Hanlim High, where he was accepted immediately, going under the alias as "Han Yejun".

Whilst there, he committed many crimes, such as graffiti on private property, arson, attempted murder and more. No one knows why he was still accepted again.

His younger sister, Yoo Jeongyeon, is second-in-line, but since Jeonghan has stepped down, Jeongyeon is required to take his place.
-

Sana closes the file and doesn't even need to say anything anymore.

She doesn't know everything, but she has a gut feeling that there's more to this file than meets the eye.