Ceremoniously United

Start from the beginning

"Ah, she has manners as well!"

The man seemed to be very pleased at her response. A few chuckles emanated from every table. Am I doing good? She found Luna's face once more. An encouraging nod and a close-eyed smile was what she received in turn.

"Would you like to say anything before we begin the Sorting Ceremony?"

Selene gave this a moment's thought. She saw a few disgusted and dismissive smirks from the Slytherins that made her only more eager to find something to say.

I won't make the same mistake as last time. I won't freeze up! With a quick surge of confidence, Selene nodded and stepped forward.

"It's a pleasure to meet all of you. I just hope that we can all get along, though I'm sure that won't be an issue!"

Her heart was beating way faster than what she thought was healthy. The approving nods and cheers from Gryffindor signaled the other tables to do the same, all except the shriveled faces of the Slytherin students.

It's going to take some time to like them. Selene simply bowed her head in embarrassment and tucked herself back into her emotional shell.

When the bearded wizard realized that she wasn't going to say anything else, the cheers died and their attention shifted once more. An old, wrinkly, worn hat rested atop a wooden stool. It almost looked as if it had just barely survived an explosion.

The woman from before, Professor Minerva McGonagall, waited beside the stool with a small smile. Even the strictest and most rule abiding teachers appreciated how important and special moments like these were for their school. It was a reminder that any and all were welcome at Hogwarts.

"Place the hat on your head." She instructed. She was taking note of how wary Selene was of the entire process. "Then the sorting will begin."

Selene complied and gingerly placed the hat on her head. A lock of hair found itself on her face during the process, causing laughter throughout the entire crowd when she tried and failed to blow it away. That was when she heard it, the voice in her head, emanating from none other than the hat itself.

The man from before, Headmaster Albus Dumbledore, moved a hand to her shoulder again to assert that this was in fact part of the process. His calmness soothed her, but a worry rose up to take its place. What if she was misplaced? What if she was put into Slytherin and was bullied for her entire time here? The thought of becoming the target of Draco Malfoy every few minutes made her heart skip a beat. She can't- no, she wouldn't live such a torturous life again.

The sorting hat resumed speaking when she was done with her brief panic.

"I see...hm...definitely...kind yet strong...intelligent yet always willing to learn more...you don't want to be a Slytherin? It doesn't really fit you anyways..."

This rambling continued for about a minute. Both sides of her emotional coin were causing the Sorting Hat to work harder than it normally did to find out where she belonged. Selene could spot Luna watching hopefully. Someone actually wants me to be around them, she marveled.

"..." "..." "..."

"Ravenclaw!"

Selene stood frozen with surprise (although it was more like a mild shock). The Sorting Hat had actually taken her choice into consideration. Luna seemed to be holding herself back from doing a happy dance in front of everyone. It appeared that she would be getting a new roommate after all.

It was decided. Selene would be learning alongside her friend.

~1 AM in the Morning~

Selene couldn't sleep. Not while she was still confused about this entire ordeal. Not while she was worried about how she would perform on her very first day tomorrow.

A new teacher also bounced around in her mind. Selene had seen her type before. Kind, cuddly, and quick to sugarcoat anything and everything. They would act as if they were living their lives one day, and be receiving a concerning promotion the next.

Knots in her hair and wand tucked away in her pajama pockets, Selene sat up and surveyed her surroundings. The Ravenclaw girls dormitory was cozy yet able to accommodate its fair share of students. All of which were asleep. All except for two.

"Sele?"

Luna was sitting up too. She groggily rubbed her eyes and frowned.

"Why are you up?" She asked.

I could asked you the same, Selene thought with an internal laugh. She rubbed her neck and shrugged sheepishly.

"I guess that I can't sleep."

"Wanna talk about it?"

"Well, sleeping would be optimum."

This got a laugh out of Luna. Her pale skin was glowing in the light from the lantern that she had just turned on. Selene couldn't tell which was more beautiful: Her laugh or her in general.

"Do you want me to keep you company?" Luna's face grew sympathetic as she asked this. It was clear that she wanted to help one of the few people that didn't judge her.

Selene was quick to nod and give her an appreciative smile. It wasn't often that anyone actually bothered to take her feelings into consideration. Luna pulled herself out of bed with her tangled blonde hair and sapphire eyes and sat down on Selene's lap. The odd girl offered a drowsy yet radiant smile and a hand on Selene's arm. Yet another surge of warmth made its way through her body. Crimson cheeks were shared by them both.

They both remained that way for about thirty minutes. Simply content with being in each other's presence. They both fell asleep before long with their arms intertwined, their breathing even and sleep peaceful.