Prologue

Run.

That was the one word that coursed through the women's mind. Run.

A simple word really, to move at a speed faster than a walk, never having both or all feet on the ground at the same time. Yet that wasn't how she thought of it. No. In her mind, the word meant, a desperate act to survive. Because that's what it was really.

She could hear loud screeches behind her and feel the heat of flames on her back as her home was condensed to rubble. Metal clashed on metal and she could hear her husband's war cries as he tried desperately to buy her time. If the situation were different she would have stayed by her husband's side, even died beside him if it came to it. Yet she knew she could not. She had to keep going. For she was not just running for her own life, but for the life of four precious bundles that lay curled up in the basket she clutched close to her.

She would not let them be harmed. That was a promise.

Her thighs burned as she powered her way through the trees, kicking up leaves and dirt as she went. Her chest heaved and her body longed for rest but she would not stop. She did not know where she was going. Just that she had to get away. If the circumstance was different she would have made for the towering walls of Castle Town. Except they weren't, and it was those that live behind those walls that wanted her dead.

She'd been banished months ago when the news of her pregnancy was first announced. For it was not a normal pregnancy. Oh no. She had fallen in love with the Demon King.

It was such a disgrace, such an act of mutiny that the goddesses cursed the children in her womb, although it was not known what with until they were born.

The eldest was cursed with the screams of the wind.

The next, sorrows in the drowning water.

Then, the dreaded curse of resemblance.

The final, the blood lust of a demon.

To most her children were monsters. Beings unworthy of being loved, but to her. They were the most precious beings in all of Hyrule. The Hylians however, her own people. Saw them as nothing but the pure embodiments of evil. So she fled her home and hid away deep in the forest outside Castle Town. Her lover joining her. Yet she was found.

Soldiers had come for her in the dead of night, burning her home to the ground and destroying what little she had, but she escaped. Her husband had brandished his sword at the opposing soldiers to aid her escape, and loading her children into a handwoven basket she disappeared into the night. Though she knew deep down her husband could not hold them off for long. Despite his skill, size and strength.

"Hylia help me!" she cried as she lost her footing and tumbled to the ground. Her basket fell from her grip and her children were thrown out onto the forest floor. "Oh mighty Din, Nayru and Farore! Please protect my children! They are innocent! Please!" her voice was hoarse as she scrambled to each child, scooping them into her arms and whispering sweet nothings in a desperate attempt to calm their cries. She couldn't understand, all her life she had trusted in the golden goddesses, believing that they would always protect her yet they were the ones that had cursed her children. They were the ones leaving them to die. Why? Why would they be so cruel to innocent children? She couldn't understand.

The sounds of the soldiers drew closer as she took the last child into her arms. Her only daughter. It was in that moment that a flash of golden light streaked across her vision and she felt herself begin to calm. Slowly she looked down to the child in her arms, swallowing thickly as she brushed a gentle finger across her cheek. "I have seen a vision," she whispered quietly, "They have not abandoned us. I will join them soon." A single tear streaked down her face as she pressed her lips to the baby's head. "You are meant for great things," she sobbed, "You have a destiny that no Hylian could ever predict. I realise now that I cannot change how they see you. That is up to you. I believe in all of you. Stay strong no matter what my little angels."