Chapter 2

Lara came out of the bathroom and glared at me in frustration, as I sat in my pajamas at the kitchen table eating bacon.

-Lexi! You are still here! Aren't you going to get ready?!

I swallowed the bacon that was in my mouth and said: I told you last night. I'm not coming today.

- Oh, I forgot! The interview.

I nodded my head in approval and put another bacon in my mouth.

Lara is my roommate. We were roommates since I came to London for college, which counts as 2 years now. She is a sweet and beautiful girl. We study in the same college and we always go together in the morning.

She sat next to me and took a Bacon from my plate and put it in her mouth. ''Don't you wanna tell your parents?'' She asked.

''No!'' I answered firmly.

''I don't want them to know that I got fired. I'll find a job. They are now spending all their money on Jake. If I tell them, they're going to send some of it for me. I will take care of it myself. I can find a job...

She nodded and after a relatively long pause asked hesitantly: How is he?!

I played with the bacons left in my plate for a while and said: I don't know... he is doing chemotherapy. the last time I talked to my mom, she said that he is cooperating well. But... well... I don't know how much longer he can cooperate! I mean... he's just a kid! He's only 8! He has to go out there and play and run... I guess he gets tired of that hospital pretty soon! I don't know ....

Lara put her hand on mine reassuringly and said: "Hey...! He's going to be alright! He is a fighter; Like you!"

I raised my head and smiled: "Yeah... he's a fighter...!"

* * *

-Lucas! Come on! I can't walk all the way there... Noooo it's too expensive! Pleaseee just this once I swear! Yes... yes, I know you're at work! Who was that girl who took my place? Tell her to come earlier today, it's not like she's going to die if she works two extra hours! So you coming? Great! Thank you! I owe you one!

A week had passed since I got fired, and during this time I went to wherever I could think of, looking for a job. But they either didn't need an employee, or their working hours interfered with my college classes. The other day I was searching the internet for jobs related to my field (art), when I saw that a famous children's book publishing house needed a designer for its story drawings. I filled out the online job application form and received an email yesterday saying that I would go to their publishing house at 2 o'clock today with a few of my drawings as samples. The place was about 20 minutes by car away from my house. The closest person I knew owning a car (except Lara) was Lucas' cousin, who had an old, wrecked car which its name I never even learned! He had borrowed the car from him two or three times so far, but the last time the tire on the back exploded and we and the car were about to perish together! From that day on we never asked for the car again. But this was an emergency! Using my special convincing powers (yeah right!), Lucas finally agreed to borrow the car from him again, and pick me up at 1:30.

It was 11 o'clock. I took a shower and dried my hair and put on the most formal clothes I had; A white blouse with a mustard skirt that was about 3 inches above my knee. Then I put a light make-up on and observed myself in the mirror. I also picked up a small cream bag and didn't forget my work which I have put in a folder last night.

About 5 minutes later Lucas texted me saying he has arrived. It was when I was at the door that I realized I had no shoes to wear! I only had a pair of navy sneakers that I always wore and were too dirty for the matter, and a pair of summer sandals that were too informal! I cried out in frustration and ran to Lara's room as fast as my skirt allowed me to! I took a pair of cream high-heels from her closet and before I put them on, I looked at her photo, which was on her desk in a photo frame, with embarrassment and said: I promise I'll return them safely!