kitten » kuroken

i live for soft kitten hybrid fics and kenma is the perfect kitten.

~*~

Kenma groans as he curls in on himself, inhaling the scent of Kuroo that clings to his boyfriend's hoodie. Kenma's senses always go wild around this time of the month, and being on suppressants only makes them worse. But Kenma thought he would've been used to them after three years. Apparently not.

He told Kuroo to go to school today, as it would only be worse if he stayed. Kenma knew that for a fact, as even the thought of his boyfriend being here made him itch all over, and he's glad he told Kuroo to go. Besides, he can't always rely on Kuroo every time his heat gets near.

But Kenma is sad to say that he misses volleyball practice today. Him and Lev were finally starting to get the hang of a new quick, and he knows Lev will be complaining more than usual today. Hopefully Kuroo's got it all sorted.

On any other day,  Kenma definitely wouldn't have been able to hear the keys jangling all the way downstairs, but with his senses heightened it's all he can hear, and if he had the energy he would've been up and out of bed in an instant, but he's so drained from a day of fighting off the side effects of his suppressants that he just stays in bed, registering the sound and feeling of his tail thumping against the bed.

He'd given Kuroo his key this morning anyway, so Kenma doesn't even need to smell Kuroo to be able to know it's him, but he can anyway.

He hears Kuroo padding up the stairs, hears him humming happily, and when the door to his bedroom opens, Kenma's excitement trumps his exhaustion and he sits up suddenly. Kuroo's smile near enough melts Kenma's bones, and he lets out an almost pathetic mew that he's glad Lev isn't around to hear as Kuroo sits on the edge of the bed and starts stroking his hair, more specifically the spot behind his cat ears that Kenma likes so much.

When his heat gets near,  Kenma's cat ears spring out from underneath his hair, and while Kenma had always tried to hide them with beanies, when it's just him and Kuroo he lets them out. Kuroo's always gentle with them and he actually makes Kenma feel like they're not all that bad.

"Hi, kitten," he whispers, kissing Kenma's forehead. "You ok?"

Kenma hums in response, eyes closing and his head moving to rest on Kuroo's lap as Kuroo sits back against the headboard. He smells of sweat and he'll probably have to go shower in a bit, but Kenma doesn't mind that for now. Kuroo's hands feel too good in his hair to care about how he smells.

"How was school?" Kenma mumbles into the fabric covering Kuroo's stomach.

"It was good," Kuroo replies. "Not much happened until practice, really."

"Did Lev whine about me not being there?" Kenma looks up momentarily to see the wide grin on Kuroo's face before he sinks back into his lap again.

"Like you wouldn't believe," Kuroo chuckles. "'Where's Kenma-san? Where's Kenma-san? We were gonna practice our cool quick today!'" He imitates the tall player, and Kenma groans into Kuroo's thigh.

"I'm sorry," he mumbles, and Kuroo has to practically lift Kenma up because he's gone so boneless. He lets Kenma rest his whole body on his chest as his little arms wrap around Kuroo's middle, Kuroo going back to stroking his hair and ears softly.

"Hey," he says. "No, baby, don't worry. It's not your fault. You're just not used to suppressants yet."

"But it's been three years, Kuroo," Kenma sighs. "Maybe I should come off them."

"Come on, kitten, we know you're not ready for that yet," Kuroo reassures. "There's no pressure for anything you don't want to do. We're getting on fine at practice and your grades are still high."

"I hate being a burden like this to you," Kenma rubs his eye tiredly with a clenched fist,  Kuroo's chest more comfortable than any pillow he's ever slept on.

"Who ever said you were a burden?" Kuroo asks. "You could never be a burden to me, Kenma. I love being able to care for you like this."

"No one else's boyfriend is a cat hybrid," Kenma mutters to himself, and Kuroo chuckles.

"And that's what makes my boyfriend so special," He wraps his arms around Kenma's waist, giving him a squeezing hug. "I gotta shower, baby, do you wanna come with?"

"Can I just sit outside the shower and wait for you? I don't feel like getting my ears wet," Kenma asks, and Kuroo kisses his forehead softly.

"Course, love," he picks Kenma up from the bed despite Kenma's protests about being too heavy and sets him down on the toilet while Kuroo hops into the shower. He pokes his head round the curtain every so often to make sure Kenma's ok when he goes silent from time to time, only to see his boyfriend nodding off.

When Kuroo gets out of the shower, he dries off and changes quickly before retrieving Kenma from the bathroom and carrying him into bed. Kenma doesn't move an inch when Kuroo gets him tucked in next to him. He only curls up to his chest and lets his ears fall to the side of his head when Kuroo holds him.

Kuroo himself falls asleep soon after, Kenma's warmth surrounding him. As he drifts off, Kenma whimpers and snuggles in closer, and Kuroo turns onto his side so he can tangle his legs with Kenma's and pull him closer. Kenma's satisfied after that, and they both fall asleep soon after wrapped up in each other's warmth.

~*~