injury » iwaoi

this one is probably more cliché than my first iwaoi one but here we go i love clichés

~*~

Iwaizumi knows something's up with Oikawa the moment he limps into practice. Of course no one else notices, or if they do Oikawa is just really good at reassuring them, but Iwaizumi's known Oikawa long enough to know there's definitely something going on.

"What are you doing here?" He asks when Oikawa reaches him, and the setter looks at Iwaizumi like he's just grown another head.

"Uh... volleyball practice?" Oikawa answers. "What are you doing here?"

Iwaizumi scowls. "Don't play dumb, Oikawa, we both know what I mean."

Oikawa gasps exaggeratedly. "You called me Oikawa instead of some rude variation! This must be serious!"

"Seriously, Shittykawa, I know something's up and I'm not going to stop asking you until you tell me," Iwaizumi threatens. It's definitely something to do with his knee if he was limping, unless... No. Iwaizumi doesn't even want to think about any alternatives.

"We're getting straight into serving practice, don't hang around!" Coach Irihata orders, and Oikawa simply shrugs mockingly at Iwaizumi before heading onto the court for practice.

Iwaizumi sighs, but follows Oikawa. If the setter won't tell him what's wrong, then he can at least keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't do anything reckless.

~*~

Iwaizumi definitely knows he should've taken initiative when he spotted Oikawa limping earlier, but he knew Oikawa would've just denied everything, and if the team's best player insists they're ok then Iwaizumi doesn't really have a leg to stand on.

But he knows now, seeing the well hidden grimace of pain on Oikawa's face as he lands from his jump serve, that he definitely should've said something sooner.

"Oikawa, maybe you should take a break," be suggests casually, as he knows the last thing Oikawa will want is for a scene to be created. "You look tired."

"I'm fine, Iwa-chan," the setter replies, trying to sound like his usual happy self but through gritted teeth.

"Right," Iwaizumi deadpans. He knows what will happen next, but he decides to just let Oikawa face the consequences. They've been in this situation enough times that Iwaizumi knows Oikawa will never listen to him, and that's going to end up coming back to bite him in the butt, but how will Oikawa ever learn his lesson if he never takes the first step of responsibility?

When Oikawa jumps for his next serve, Iwaizumi hears the familiar squeaking of sneakers as he takes off, only to be followed by the harsh thud of what has to be a body hitting the floor, and Iwaizumi turns around suddenly to see Oikawa on the floor clutching his knee in pain.

He knows this was going to happen, so why is he so worried and surprised?

The team are all huddled around their precious captain but Iwaizumi gets there first, helping Oikawa into a sitting position with hands on his back and on his injured leg.

"You absolute dumbass, I told you to be careful," he scolds worriedly, looking at where Oikawa's knee is starting to swell underneath his knee brace.

"Shut up, Iwaizumi," Oikawa hisses, shocking everyone apart from Iwaizumi. The ace only sighs before he smiles at the rest of the team.

"I'll take him to the nurse," he reassures, having to quite literally force Oikawa up from
the floor. He slings one of Oikawa's arm around his neck and wraps his own arm around Oikawa's waist to help keep him standing, and the two of them hobble out of the gym.

The entire walk there, Oikawa was silent save for little uncomfortable grunts and hisses of pain when he put too much pressure on his knee. Iwaizumi remained composed the whole time until the nurse directed them to sit outside her office as she was seeing someone else at the moment.

The moment she closed the door, Iwaizumi pretty much threw Oikawa onto one of the chairs, ignoring his protests and yelps of shock.

"W-What the heck, Iwa-chan?!" He shrieked as Iwaizumi sat opposite him.

"That's for being so fucking stupid and not listening to me," Iwaizumi spits, folding his arms over his chest and leaning back in his chair.

"Iwa-chan, language! There's an old lady behind that door," Oikawa whisper-shouts, pointing to the office next to him.

"Why didn't you just tell me you fucked up your knee?" Iwaizumi asks, quieter this time as even he wasn't so crude as to swear in front of an old lady.

Oikawa pouts, raising an eyebrow and bringing a hand up to his chin to rub at it as if he was actually thinking. Iwaizumi's not messing around.

"You think this is so funny, don't you?" He scoffs, shaking his head in disbelief. "This is your future you're messing about with. If you're not careful, you could never play volleyball again."

"I know that, Iwa-chan," Oikawa replies, expression nor tone no longer joking. "I know. I'm sorry."

Iwaizumi's eyes widen, the arms folded at his chest loosening a little as he sits up and stares in bewilderment at Oikawa. The setter notices, obviously, and starts to blush.

"W-What?" He stammers out, reaching behind his head with his hand and rubbing his burning nape nervously.

"I wasn't expecting you to give in so easily," Iwaizumi admits, still shocked. "I was prepared to have to kick you a few times before you even admitted it. Guess you're full of surprises."

~*~

"What's the verdict?" Matsukawa asks as Iwaizumi helps Oikawa waddle back into the gym.

"No volleyball for two weeks," Oikawa announces, holding up a peace sign.

Iwaizumi rolls his eyes. "He can't practice for two weeks. Naturally, I'm still gonna bring him to practice so I know he's not just practicing elsewhere, and the nurse gave him crutches, so if any of you ever see him without them, either beat the shit out of him or tell me and I'll beat the shit out of him."

"Noble as ever, Iwa-chan," Oikawa sighs wistfully. "But must you really bring me to practice with you everyday? It's punishment enough not being able to play but watching you guys play?" He presses a hand to his heart. "There's only so much one guy can take."

"Think of this as an incentive," Hanamaki interjects. "The sooner you rest, the sooner you'll be able to play again."

Oikawa sighs. "I guess you're right."

"Now go sit over there and shut up, Iwaizumi lightly shoves Oikawa in the direction of the bleachers, but still helps him hobble over to them after Oikawa loses his footing.

"He is so whipped," Matsukawa teases.

"Definitely," Hanamaki agrees. "I bet he's only using this injury as an excuse to be around Oikawa all the time."

"I can hear you!"