Chapter 1

It was 2 o'clock midnight. There was no sound. Everyone was asleep and it was dark everywhere. I was lying on the bed, staring at the ceiling. I reached for the window next to the bed and gently pulled away the white silk curtain. I got up, sat on the edge of the bed, and leaned my forehead against the window. I stared at the dark street beneath my feet. I raised my head and looked at the sky. I missed seeing a starry sky. Only one star could be seen twinkling faintly, and the mid-April crescent moon, which shone and cast a shadow on buildings and the street, and probably on my tired face and sleepy eyes. I put my fingertips on the cold glass and slowly slid them down. The only sound I could hear was the sound of my own quiet, regular breathing. I wish I could sleep. I wish the thought of him went out of my mind for a moment and I could sleep peacefully and carefree. I closed my eyes for a few seconds. The cold of the glass was beginning to bother my forehead. I laid on my bed again. My eyelids were getting heavier. I closed my eyes and let tiredness plunge me into itself.

* * *

I narrowed my eyes to the sunlight and pulled the blanket over my head, annoyed. I turned my head and picked up my cell phone from the side table and checked the time with one eye.

-Shit!

I pushed the blanket harshly and jumped off the bed. I washed my hands and face as fast as I could and brushed my teeth. I wore the first thing I came across in my wardrobe, which was a blue-and-white-striped T-shirt, and put on my jeans and grabbed my little handbag that I had thrown on the sofa last night, and ran out of the house.

I pressed the elevator button several times in a row. I knew it wouldn't make it come faster, but anyway! As I was waiting for the elevator, I heard my phone beep. I took it out of my bag. It was Lucas: "Where the hell are you?"

I rolled my eyes and locked my phone and was about to put it in my bag that I saw my puffy face and messy hair on its black screen. I sighed in frustration. I decided to give up on the elevator, and as I was running down the stairs, I combed my hair with my fingers and made it into a bun above my head. It looked like a tomato! A crushed tomato with hair coming out of it from every direction!

I ran the route I normally walked for 20 minutes so fast that I reached it in 10 minutes. It was half past eight. I was an hour late. Before entering the cafe, I stopped for a few seconds and looked inside through the glass. I saw Lucas wiping one of the tables. I looked around the cafe, but there was no sign of Mr. Barney. I took a deep breath and then slowly pushed the glass door. I started walking towards the counter, with smooth but fast steps. And just as I was about to enter the kitchen, Mr. Barney's voice from behind made me jump:

-Alexandra Cara Blythe!

Hearing my name, I froze and pressed my eyes tightly and bit my lower lip. I cursed this sudden and inopportune presence under my breath and then turned around with a fake smile:

-Mr. Barney!

Frowning, he narrowed his eyes and stared at me angrily. I swallowed my fake smile.

He opened his mouth to start saying what he always said. I couldn't stand hearing his usual speech about responsibility and growing up and me being almost 19, and that if I wanted to continue like this, I would not get anywhere... and all this nonsense.

- What time is it Lexi? Do you even understand...

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Then opened them and said with embarrassment:

-Yes, I know what time it is and yes, I know I promised! I swear it's the last time. My alarm...

- Enough!

I tried to look as innocent as possible and looked down.

We were in the same position for a few seconds. Then he shook his head in disappointment and walked past me and stood behind the counter.

I raised my head and frowned in surprise. That's it?! I looked at Lucas, who had stopped cleaning the table and was looking at me, and gave him a what-is-going-on look! He just shook his head sadly which made me even more anxious.

I turned and stood in front of Mr.Barney at the other side of the counter. He took a white envelope out of the drawer and placed it on the counter right in front of me. I looked first at the envelope and then at Mr. Barney and asked, "What is this?"

He answered in a calm but serious tone: Lexi, you're fired!

My mouth dropped open and my eyes widened, staring at him in disbelief.

Seeing my face, he seemed to feel bad for me, but he pushed the envelope towards me a little and said: This month's salary. Plus some extra money until you find a new job. This was the last thing I could do for you.

I couldn't believe this actually happened. I stared at him helplessly for a few seconds. I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. I said under my breath: No, no, no

My volume was getting up: No, no! You can't fire me. I need this job, you know that!

I felt a drop of tear roll down my cheek and quickly wiped it off with the back of my hand. I didn't want to cry in front of him.

I could tell he got upset seeing me like that, but he had already made up his mind. He shook his head sadly and said, "I'm sorry."

And before I had a chance to say anything, he went into the kitchen and closed the door behind him.

After a few seconds, when I finally got myself together, I sadly picked up the envelope and left the cafe with weary steps. I heard Lucas shout from behind, running to reach me.

-Lexi!

I answered tiredly: Lucas! Not now!

- Do you... want me to talk to him?

I looked into his eyes: You know it's useless.

He knew! He just wanted to say something, to make me feel better, maybe.

He put his hand on my shoulder friendly. I gave him a faint smile and as I was walking away from him I said softly: See you.

-where are you going?

Without returning, I replied: Looking for a job!

Heyyy guysss!

So this is my first story! Actually the first story I wrote down!

At first it might seem a little slow but believe me amazing things are going to happen so I really ask you to pleaseee give it a chance

Love u all lots

Violet