Prologue

Unedited

Abena Dankwa packed the last of her bags and followed her friends to the bus stop to wait for the next trotro to Accra. They laughed and screamed out of joy. After three years in the senior secondary school they were free.
Free from the early morning rise and the late night prep. No more listening to the old teachers rant about how they weren't taking their future seriously.

Abena sat on her chop box with a smile plastered on her face taking a fresh breath of freedom. Most students in her dorm had complained about how difficult the wassce was but she was confident in herself. She had to be she had promised her father that she would make all A's just for him and she couldn't break that promise.

They hailed the small trotro and braced theirselves for the drive ahead leaving the mountain behind them.

"Abena! Abena wake up we're almost at Adenta" Stephany Abena's friend shook Abena vigorously to wake her up. After a few seconds Abena woke up, eyes red and checks marked showing how much she had slept.

"Mate barrier w) mu" she yelled over to the drivers assistant. He hit the side of the car and it immediately came to a stop.

She got down and unloaded her belongs unto the side of the road. She looked into the car and gave Steph a wave not to emotional because she had faith they'd see each other in the university.

She watched the tail of the car disappeared and haved a sign. There was an unsettling feeling in her stomach she pushed it away because she got to see her father after so long. She turned looked around the bus stop for him. It had been a tradition he would always wait for her at the bus stop with a bright smile on his face by a taxi ready to take his baby girl home, but he wasn't there today and that made her worry.

Something was wrong and she refused to admit it. From the time he had missed visiting day but she pushed the feeling deep down not ready to admit it.

She convinced her self that he was at home waiting for her with a big surprise. Abena reaches intot he pocket of her blue check check house dress and took out the cramped twenty cedis note.

"Driver!"

The old taxi driver got out of the car immediately happy to know he wouldn't go now empty hardened.
"School girl, where are we going to" he asked

"Adenta down sir. How much is it?"she replied. Silently praying he wouldn't say more that twenty cedis.

"Thirty cedis"he replied. Her prayer had gone unanswered.

"Ei driver please. All I have is twenty cedis. I just came back from school. I don't have any money left" she begged.

"School girl, look at the things behind you. I should charge you more than that but I'm taking pity on you." He replied. Abena signed and turned around ready to sort another driver but then he spoke again "You come you're first customer so I'll take it"he said. He carried the girls belonging into the hood of the car and the excess into the back seat. He inserted key into the inginator and started the short trip to the said location.

They zoomed passed the buildings small, big large until they arrived at her neighborhood. She turned to the driver and gave him the direction to her house "take the next left and park in front of the brown gate." And the driver did as he was told to.

He helped Abena unload her belongings into the compound. Abenas house was not big but it was enough for them. It was a three bedroom house. One room for her parents one for her and the other for guests who had to stay over. The kind hearted Mr. Dankwa was an accountant but he never showed of his wealth. He was as humble as a lamb and had taught his daughter to be same. The said girl took a deep breathe and barged into the front door ready for her surprise but to no avail.

With her heart thumping against her chest she looked around the living room. The curtains hadn't been drawn and there were empty bottle of an unknown substance scattered all over the floor. To say she was scared would have been an understatement the girl in the living room was petrified of the unknown.

"What are you doing her" someone slurred. Abena turned around to discover the owner of the voice. She recognized the owner of the voice as her mother.

"Ma,are you drunk,have you been crying,where's dad what going on?"the thumping of her heart had increased by ten. Her mothers eyes were blood shot and she was dressed in all black. She had never had a good relationship with her but she had never wished her any harm.

"Shut up,shut up,shut up. How dare you come back here. This is all your fault. Those evil spirits of yours have taken him away." The woman held so much hate in here eyes as she spoke. She swayed from one side to the other pointing an accusing finger at her child. She had loved her husband dearly but now he was no more. He had left her all alone.

Abena broke down. It didn't take a genius to know that she had lost the one person who she loved the most

Kind of a sample. Might continue when I'm done with my other book but what's your thoughts on this one.