Welcome Home

This chapter will begin a brand new format and perspective. Thank you for coming on this journey with me and @rose-sparks13.
IMPORTANT THINGS TO NOTE:

Mar is enby and uses they/them pronouns!
This fic will have 50+ chapters so please don't disparage just yet. We aren't near done :)
SPECIAL THANKS AND SHOUTOUT TO @jillsmpsimp on tiktok who made a hugely popular couple of videos crying over this fic that brought new readers and attention to it. Someone on tumblr told me about the tiktoks and me and rose yelled at each other about them. making VIDEOS about the fic lkajsdflja we made it lads, we won the game...

Songs for this chapter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqBJbdPDigc
(I and Love and You by The Avett Brothers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_c3P-YWLpQ
(No Choir by Florence and the Machine)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6M9obMj0Sg
(Day is Done by John Prine)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcLTnApjl5k
(Bed is for Sleeping by Bonnie 'Prince' Billy & Matt Sweeney)

Thank you again to everyone. Sorry for the continued angst lol :')

---------------------------------------------------------------

The lights of Tartarus were bright and harsh overhead, exacerbated by the cold white tiles and bare walls lining every meter of the facility. A heart rate monitor beeped steadily next to a sterile bed, and tubes led from a dripping IV bag to the frail, quiet figure covered only by a single thin sheet. Her arms were bound and hands were covered in metal as her chest rose and fell, shallow and slow, concave and convex. Eyes, dark grey with crows feet lining the edges, stared listlessly at the ceiling just like she had done for weeks on end. The clock was finally about to run out.

Hushed voices muttered outside the soundproof door adorned only with a single shatterproof window. A mixed bag of concern, excitement, anxiety, and disbelief bounced off the hallway walls lined with identical, antiseptic rooms in various states of occupancy. Motion-sensitive cameras were bolted where the walls and ceiling met, focusing on the shuffling movement of the group of impatient visitors. Additional cameras down the hallway honed in on armed security, standing at the ready at both ends of the long hallway.

"What happens if he... if he doesn't-"

"Don't think like that! We have to stay confident that it'll all work out."

"Yeah! Don't be a downer, Kaminari. We've waited this long. We can't give up now."

The built man with a mop of moss-green hair nodded. He peered through the clear window into the room. Still no change. "Doctor, everything's prepared, right?"

A stern-looking woman in a long white coat that matched the overly-clean walls nodded alongside her colleague. "Yes. We've equipped the medical clinic down the hall with everything we might immediately need aside from what a hospital could provide, and emergency services are on standby in case we need to airlift him out. No matter what state he may arrive in, the #2 Hero will receive the most comprehensive care."

Her grounding words set everyone on edge despite the attempt to remain positive. No communication with Bakugo Katsuki for over a month, no indication as to where he was nor the state of his mental or physical wellbeing; all they knew from the villain laying listlessly in the other room was that he was alive, but "alive" truly meant very little in the grand scheme of things.

It could mean hanging on by a thin, ready to snap thread, hence the doctors at the ready. But their group was strong and had discussed how to handle the worst case scenario. They were Heroes after all and had dealt with tragedy before... just never one quite like this.

A woman with pale blonde hair angrily shoved her way forward and pressed her face against the glass. "Where the hell is he? Just like the brat to keep us all waiting..."