Accident (Levi x Reader)

Start from the beginning

You blinked a few times, your vision coming into focus just as Levi made a move to get out of bed, and you could see his thoughts written all over his typically stoic face.

Again, someone he cared about was hurt because of him, this time by his own hand. He was toxic, a bad luck charm, and everyone who got close to him ended up the worse for it. It was wrong of him to get involved with you in the first place, knowing all of that. He didn't deserve to stay here, with someone so comforting and kind. In fact, you probably hated him now, and you had every right to.

As you read all of this from the shame and regret that filled his expression, you instinctively reached out to grab him, to make him stay. He didn't deserve the punishment that he was giving to himself – to sink down into his guilt, alone, until all he knew was self-loathing. It had been an accident.

"Don't go," you murmured as your fingers closed around his wrist.

He was so scared of using any force with you that he didn't fight back, didn't simply pull his wrist from your grip and walk away. Instead, he stopped, turning to look at you with wide, sad eyes. "But I...I hurt you..." he quavered. "I shouldn't stay here. You shouldn't have to put up with this. God, I'm so sorry –"

"Shh," you cooed, reaching out to brush your thumb across his cheek, hushing him gently. "You don't have to apologize, love. You were having a nightmare. You didn't mean to."

"That doesn't matter," he argued, and you could hear the tightness in his voice. "You still got hurt because of me. I shouldn't have slept here. I should've known better."

You sighed, seeing that he was only spiraling further into his guilt. Just sitting here talking about it wasn't going to make things better now. So, you decided to try a different tactic. "Bring me some ice," you murmured, "for my face."

Levi swallowed the lump in his throat, then nodded stiffly. He got out of bed, a little more collected than he had been a moment ago. Now, he had a task, a direction, something to do besides sit there and ruminate. He didn't realize that it was helping him relax, just a little – but you did.

Orders were both familiar and comfortable for Levi. It was in his nature to devote himself to someone he trusted, and that included his lover. If you needed something, regardless of what it was, he would give it to you, do it for you, get it for you – never resting until you were happy and satisfied.

By the time Levi returned, you had fully acknowledged the throbbing in your cheek, and it hurt. Even while subdued by sleep, Levi's fist still packed quite a punch. You had gingerly prodded it with your fingers a few times and observed that it was already swelling. You would have a fun time explaining this to your comrades tomorrow – but of course, you wouldn't tell them the truth.

Levi knelt on the bed and held the ice out to you, carefully tied in a soft cloth. However, instead of taking the icepack, you reached past it and gripped his shirt. "Come here," you whispered.

You pulled him closer until he sat right next to you. Although the look in his eyes still conveyed extreme guilt, his instinct to use absolutely zero force with you was greater than his instinct to pull away. Thus, he came without a fight.

Still gripping his shirt, you leaned your body into his and tucked your head into his shoulder, nuzzling your uninjured cheek against his frame so that the other was exposed for the icepack. "Hold me."

Levi sighed softly, his breath skimming across your throbbing face. He didn't think he deserved it, but he wouldn't deny you, so he wrapped his arm around your waist and used his free hand to gently press the icepack to your cheek.

Now that you were sure he wouldn't run away, you loosened your grip on his shirt. Yet, you still kept a hand on his chest, comforted by the feeling of his toned muscles, of his heartbeat beneath them. The two of you stayed that way, silent but for the soft sound of your breaths. Despite the throbbing in your cheek, you were so relaxed by the calming atmosphere that you nearly fell asleep on Levi's shoulder.