"Dad-!"

"Not to mention the boy you attacked happens to be the son of one of the most elite lawyers in town!" He continued on. "That friend of yours is gonna go to prison and it'll serve him right."

"You have no idea what that elite lawyer's son did to me!" I argued. "He pressed me against the wall of a building, whispering the most vile things to me as he attempted to take advantage of me. So why don't you tell me who deserves to rot in a cell, dad," I spoke as I stood up. "The boy who tried to fuck me against my will or the boy who loves me so much he tried to defend me!"

"What nonsense are you spewing now," He sighed as he cradled his head in his hands.

"Look," I sighed as I slid back into my chair. "I know we've had our differences but I'd expect that if you love me, just a little bit-- if you even care just a fraction about me that you'd believe it if I told you that some guy tried to assault me."

"And you're one hundred percent sure that's what happened? I need to know that you're not just saying this to defend that punk kid," He said as he looked up from the table and at me.

"It's the truth. You could ask Parker," I said.

"Okay," He nodded slowly.

"Okay?" I asked in surprise, recoiling slightly.

He believed me?

Has hell finally frozen over?

"I believe you," He said as he stood up, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his tailored pants. "I'm trusting that you'd never lie about something this serious."

"I wouldn't."

"Look Tessa, I know that your mother and I have been far from the best parents but we love you. We both do. I'm just worried about you throwing away your life for a boy who's gonna end up in a jail cell or dead," My father explained.

It's been at least ten years since I'd seen my father show me a single emotion besides loathe. I've missed his kind eyes that didn't portray disappointment.

I couldn't stop myself from wrapping my arms around his waist in a tight hug. This was the father I'd been missing all these years and though it might take me some time to finally get over how he'd treated me, I'd say this was an okay start.

"Thank you."

"Thank you for what?" He asked as his hand stroked my matted hair.

"For believing me."

"I should've never doubted you," He said. "It's just that Elijah Hastings doesn't seem like your usual crowd. I mean -- Bella isn't exactly like him."

"He's a really good guy," I quickly defended.

"Hmm," He hummed, crossing his hands over his chest. "You two are together, aren't you?"

My eyes widened as I stuttered for the right words to say. How the hell did he figure that one out. I hadn't done anything to give it away. Did I?

"Would you be mad if I said yes?"

"Would you end it if I was?" He countered, though he already knew the answer to that one. "If he was defending you as you'd mentioned then I guess I can be okay with it but let's just hold off on telling your mother."

"Yeah," I grimaced before asking, "Do you think I could see him?"

"I think I can arrange that."

*

"Elijah!" I all but squealed as the officer had unlocked his cell.

Elijah's head snapped up from its previously bowed position as he glanced up at the sound of my voice. Within seconds he was pushing himself off of the thin bed and towards me.