3

my face heated up a bit and i smiled, "why hello beth"

the red head leaned her back against the counter next to me, "why hello y/n, didn't think i'd ever see you here"

i playfully frowned, "and why's that?"

she flipped around so her elbows were on the counter, just like mine were, "well not to be rude, but the last time i saw you, you weren't that good. i never would've dreamed that you'd show up to the tournaments"

i scoffed and pretend to be hurt, "how dare you!" i giggled a bit and fumbled with the empty glass coke bottle.

"i'll have you know, beth, that after i moved out of kentucky, i continued to practice and i got much much better at chess, hence why i'm here"

she shot me a warm smile, "well, it's a pleasant surprise," she motioned for the bartender to get her a drink, "you sure have grown"

i blushed and looked down, "i could say the same about you," i finally looked her in her eyes, "i see you decided to grow out your bangs"

beth grinned and twirled her shoulder length hair around her finger, "they no longer suited me"

i took a step away from the counter and fixed my skirt, "well beth, it was lovely to see you here" i smiled and gave her a bit of a nod and turned on my heel.

"y/n" beth called out

"yes?" i turned back around and looked at her, "maybe you could come to my room, show me how good you are at chess now?"

i smiled and felt my cheeks grow red, "that sounds fantastic, see you in five?"

she nodded and smiled, looking giddy, "goodbye
y/n" she waved her hand a little, her fingers moving in a flirtatious way.

"bye beth" i waved back to her, smiling like an idiot to myself as i walked back to my room.