1

i stared at the chessboard in frustration, the 64 squares all blending together. i groaned and tugged at my hair.

"your time is almost up"

i looked up from the board and glared at beth but she only smirked and stopped the clock, "you're getting better but you somehow always get stuck in this position" she pointed to the board, "and that's when you get frustrated"

i nodded and sighed, "are we done with practice for today?"

she nodded and grabbed a chess book off of her desk, "read this when you get home, it may help you learn how to not get stuck in that spot again"

i smiled and took the book from her, tucking it into my bag, "where's your next tournament?"

beth started to put her chess pieces back on her desk, "las vegas" she quickly turned around and raised an eyebrow, "why?"

i shrugged and smiled a bit, "i wanna go see the famous beth harmon play, i've known you ever since you've moved here and yet i haven't ever seen you play at tournaments"

"y/n, it's in las vegas, that's a long flight, the hotel at least pays for my flight and my room"

i smirked, "maybe i could pull off as being your sister and get my ticket paid for"

she looked me up and down and giggled, "i don't think so, and even if it did, there's only two beds, i have one and my mom has the other"

"so it's a no?" i giggled

"maybe you could come to one that's not so far away and expensive" she smiled and stood up, fixing the skirt of her dress, "well, you did good today, who knows, someday you may be competing against me" beth smirked

i stood up and put my bag over my shoulder, giving her a warm smile, "who knows, someday i may even be better than you"

we both laughed and i left her house with a warm bubbly feeling inside.

i walked around my hotel room, trying to get rid of my nervous jitters. i always got them before my matches even though i know it was gonna be an easy win.

i checked my watch and realized that i had five minutes before i would officially be late. i sprinted down the stairs and slowed my speed down when i saw the tables with the chess boards on them.

i walked over to the counter and looked at the board behind it, trying to find what number table i was at. someone cleared their throat loudly and i swiftly turned around, seeing the guy at my table with an annoyed look on his face.

i walked over to him and stuck out my hand for him to shake, but he just rolled his eyes and grunted so i sat down and started to fix the pieces on my side of the board.

the people around me all turned their heads as someone had walked into the room, but i ignored it, punching my opponents clock. he didn't seem to notice and instead let his eyes follow this person all the way until she took her seat at her table.

i grunted a bit, gaining my opponent's attention as he quickly moved his piece, punching my clock, and immediately turning to continue staring at the girl. i sighed and decided to finally see who they were staring at.

i tilted my head to the side and looked at the table everyone was staring at. sitting in the chair facing away from me was a brown haired man, fiddling with his mustache, and across him was...

"that's beth harmon~" my opponent cooed.

beth?!