Day 2

This morning when I woke up, I smelled something, good? I yawned and stretched my arms and legs and then just laid in bed for a minute. I had to do something, I just couldn't remember what that was... Eventually I found the motivation to get out of bed and walk downstairs. I screamed when I saw someone in my kitchen. The figure turned around.
"Oh I'm sorry for scaring you, I guess I should've text to say I was coming over."
"Jack." I groaned.
"I said I'm sorry." He turned his back to me again and kept flipping the pancakes he was cooking. It smelled so good and I was really hungry.
"How did you even get it?" I asked.
"Front door was unlocked. Maybe when your parents left earlier this morning they forgot to lock the door." I flinched at his words but his back was to me so he didn't see.
"How many pancakes do you want?" He asked.
"Uh, I'll just have one." Something Jack also didn't know was that I didn't eat a lot, I just convinced myself I wasn't hungry.
"One?" He turned around and looked skeptical. "I made a bunch of pancakes your having more than one." And with that he piled four pancakes on a plate and slid it over to me. I sighed, I would just eat one, maybe two and then say I wasn't hungry anymore. These pancakes do look very good though. Screw stupid rules I made about how much I eat. I dug into the pancakes, and finished all four. These were really good.
"How did you learn to cook so well?"
"My mom made sure it was important to teach me and my three sisters how to cook."
I nodded. He had a whole big family. It sounded nice.
Jack broke me out of my thoughts. "And that's another reason to not go back to the bridge. Because if you do you can never eat my amazing pancakes again."
I smiled a little. That was kinda funny I guess. My smile quickly vanished when I heard a knock at the door. "I'll get it." I told Jack. He nodded and I walked to the door. I opened it slowly and my jaw dropped when I saw who it was.
"M-mom?"

I quickly stepped outside and closed the door behind me. I did not need Jack to know about this. "What are you doing here." I hissed.
"This is my house, you little brat." She sneered at me.
"Not since you abandoned me and took of with that asshole you called your boyfriend."
"Jim is actually in the car, so you better shut your ugly little mouth before you regret it."
"Why? Because you know what your dead to me." I spit. All the anger that boiled up inside of me just came out. I couldn't help it.
"Why you little—" she raised her hand up and was about to slap me, but the door behind me opened.
"Um. Y/n?" Jack looked at me with an expression of confused and worry. "Is everything okay?"
"Yeah it's fine." I brushed away the tears that started to form under my eyes. "Now. Leave." I said sternly. My mother scoffed and started swearing at me calling me horrible names. I tried to tune it all out, but was it too hard. I turned my back and walked inside, with Jack following me, as I slammed and locked the door. It felt as if all the strength had seeped out of me, and I collapsed in a heap on the floor. I heard the car drive away, and I knew my mother was gone, and that she was never coming back. Jack rushed over to my side and held me in his arms. He gently rubbed my back as I sat there sobbing. If Jack had any questions of why I was on the bridge two nights ago, I think they would be answered now. After I regained some composure, Jack looked at me. You could see in his eyes he was worried about me.
"Y/n? What just happened?"

"That was. My mother. And I guess I should tell you everything." I sighed and began talking.

"Y/n! Hurry up you're going to be late for school!" My mom yelled as I ran down the stairs to the kitchen. I was met with a plate of scrambled eggs and bacon. My mouth watered as I sat down and began eating the food. Two minutes later I finished eating.
"That was quick". My mom laughed. So did I. "Well I'm glad you enjoyed it. And the bus is almost here. So get going." She gave me a hug and kissed my temple. "I love you y/n."
"I love you too mom." I said as I walked outside. The air felt nice and fresh. I got on the bus and made my way to the back where I normally sat with my friend, Katie.
"Hey girl! Are you ready for the last week of senior year?"
"Totally." I replied. One more week and then I would be done with high school for good. I had already gotten accepted into Stanford University, and I was excited to go to college and live the college life.
Katie and I talked all the way to school and when we go there we headed to our first period classes, mine happened to be gym. During that class I tripped on a basketball and hurt my arm. I went to the nurse and she decided to send me home for the day so my mom could take me to the hospital. First I had to call my mom so she could come pick me up, since I didn't have a car. The nurse gave me a sling to put my arm in as I called my mother.
My phone rung, but she didn't pick up. I thought that was odd. I called five more times and she still didn't answer. I told the nurse and she was nice enough to drive me home. I got out of the car and walked inside of my house.
"Mom?" I said. I didn't see her anywhere. I walked upstairs and went to where her room was, the door was closed and I heard muffled sounds. I went to open it and my mouth dropped open.
"What are you doing??" I yelled.
My mom looked at her horrified. I had caught her sleeping with some random guy I had never seen before.
"Get out! We'll talk about this later!" She Hollered at me.
I quickly ran to my room and locked the door. About 20 minutes later my mom knocked on my door. "Can I come in?"
I sniffled and opened the door.
"Now I know you're confused, y/n, but hear me out."
"No. You hear me out. I go to school for the day and I come home to see you screwing some dude. And while dad is away serving in the military! How could you?!" At this point I was practically yelling.
"It doesn't matter because your father is dead!" She yelled back at me.
I suddenly lost all my courage. My voice sounded weak. "What?"

"You heard me. He died in battle last week." My mom spoke, her voice slightly quieter than before.
"So, you-you go screw some other guy!" I yell back. At this point I was furious.
"It's how I heal! How I move on and you should move on too." I knew my mom wasn't always the kindest person, but this just proved she was cruel.
"No way! Your not even giving me time to mourn! What the hell is wrong with you?"
"Now don't you talk to me like that young lady!"
"Get out."
"Excuse me?"
"I said get out." My voice was powerful. I wanted her to leave. "Go live with your boyfriend, but get out of my house. Now that dad is gone, he left me this house in his will. He told me that years ago. So get out of my house." I was very close to screaming.
"No. I'm your mother and—"
"I said get the hell out!!" This startled my mother and she left my room. I heard a little bit of talking, and then heard the front door slam close. And that's when I lost it. I broke down and let out all the feelings I kept in, anger, fear, pain, depression. All pouring out at once.

"And that was when I declined the offer from Stanford. I went to school for the next week but distanced myself from everyone. Katie tried to help but she went off to college and I was left behind like I wanted to be. Then, four months later I was on that bridge ready to join my dad." I finished my story and looked up at Jack. His expression was unreadable. I couldn't tell what he was thinking. But I knew he was at a loss for words.

"Y/n. I-I honestly don't know what to say. That's absolutely horrible what happened to you. I-I'm so sorry. You don't deserve any of that. Just know from now on you always have me, for whatever you need."
I nodded. "I'm tired Jack." I stood up and so did he.
"Okay. Get some sleep. I'll be back in the morning." He gave a small smile and watched me walk up the stairs. I heard the front door close and then cuddled up in my blankets. I cried myself to sleep that night. But I woke up the next morning sort of happy.