Part 27

"Di, I know you had your reasons for telling me to hate the Shekhawats, even though our parents were culpable. But my feelings of intense loathing and blistering rage need time to heal."

Aditi gave a quick nod and let out a deep breath. She had anticipated her brother's reaction, but she was grateful he decided to talk it out with her instead of shutting down.

"I had to tell you the truth, Golu. I'm sorry," Aditi told him as she placed her hand gently on his shoulder for a moment before walking away, leaving him alone with his reflections.

****

"You're actually forgiving him?" Pranav asked, taken aback. Although Diya was pleased about the decision, he knew her better than anyone and had not foreseen this outcome. It was natural for him to wonder why she'd chosen to accept the apology when even she hadn't expected it.

"Had this been yesterday, I don't think I would have gone for this option."

She picked up a bite of the chaat that Pranav had bought to celebrate their decision and wolfed it down.

Pranav paused for a second and blinked his eyes quickly while attempting to decipher the words she had said.

He raised an eyebrow. "That sure is something," he said. Her mouth curved into a bittersweet smile. "He declared his love to me this morning. Di and Atharv had an argument yesterday because of their varying opinions related to the situation I was in, and I played them against one another. He was still believing my parents killed his for my sake. Despite all this, he didn't stop himself from professing his devotion."

Pranav nodded, seeing where her line of thinking was leading. "So," he said, "you figured if he can forgive and forget, why not you?"

"Partly, yes. I felt guilty for the wrong my parents had done to him. It changed a generous boy into an unforgiving adult. It was like it was up to me to make things right again. Plus..."

"And?"

She released the air she had been unconsciously retaining. "I wanted to live the love story I desired. The multitude of possibilities, the countless possibilities of a happily ever after—I wanted to know if they could become my reality, if presented with the opportunity."

Pranav smiled at his companion fondly. Underneath her solid exterior of logic and sass, there was a hopeful romantic who would quietly cry and contain her tears in those exciting books that she liked to read.

He scoffed, "I'm sure reality will be much better than whatever you can come up with. Now, how should I act when we see our parents? Should I look ecstatic like your friend or devastated and betrayed like a jilted lover?" He pretended to wipe away tears from his face as he put on the betrayed lover's role, making her roll her eyes.

"Must you always put on a show?" she questioned, her mouth forming a tight line.

Pranav chuckled. "You get some kind of amusement out of it! That's why we're still friends! It helps to break up your boredom!"

She lightly hit his arm in jest. "Do whatever makes you feel better, since this attitude isn't exactly making you any new fans! You can only impress people in your dreams!"

Pranav couldn't contain his laughter at her words. "Even though I lost, I still won the challenge. You found the love of your life before me, so you owe me a treat! I'm kind enough to let you choose the time and place, but you must pay up!"

As Diya remembered their deal, she groaned internally for being on the losing side and cursed Pranav's excellent memory. She attempted to argue for her case before giving in and fulfilling her end of the agreement. "That's hardly fair!"