14. Newspaper articles

YOUNG BOY, EIJI KI, VICTIM OF MEDICAL MALPRACTICE
1986

The body of Eiji Ki, 12, was proclaimed dead at Yokohama's General Hospital after a nurse appointed to record the readings of his temperature, heart rate and blood pressure walked in on the lifeless juvenile in an early morning round.

Young Ki was hospitalised in the Intensive Care Unit department to receive treatment for a severe case of pneumonia which the victim had been diagnosed with, but the ventilator which had assisted his breathing was suspected to have ceased working overnight, believed to have been put to rest by a young female nurse undergoing training.

The manager of the department refused to attest or address the issue when posed with enquiries for journalism companies, and later the same week was faced with several attempts of aggression from revolted relatives of the victim demanding acknowledgement of such case and the resignation of the training nurse under suspicion.

"My staff is professionally trained and qualified to serve in the department," the hot-headed manager responded to the invasive crowd of reporters who had gathered around the facility. "I will not have a young, ambitious and talented member of staff resign after undergoing years of education in the field because of rumours spread by boy's relatives' incapability of letting go. We're all mourning the loss of Eiji, more or less."

Detectives were sent out to investigate the case but no card which shifted the blame towards the young accused nurse could be identified; there were no fingerprints left on the device which had bound the boy to life, and the camera which had been planted in his room did not reveal said female disconnecting the ventilator - she was only seen carrying out her duty of recording the boy's various health concerns and supplying him the medication he was prescribed during her allocated times.

An honorary minute of silence is to be provided for the victim, from the department, as an apology for the misfortune, and the manager publicly announced his refusal to attend the ceremony.

There was another under it.

MANAGER OF I.C.U. DEPARTMENT COULD NOT BEAR THE GUILT
1986

The recent case of Eiji Ki, 12, victim to medical negligence has tainted the reputation of Yokohama's General Hospital and brought along a wave of rumours blaming the event on a young female undergoing training to become a fully-fledged nurse. To the delight of those in the public - especially those who had been related to the young boy - the female announced her resignation and delivered a public apology in regards to the case: "I can only just imagine how hard it must be for them. I am not to be found guilty regarding the case, but if I must leave in order for the hospital to continue operating then let that be so.".

Detective investigations were still taking place in said building. The autopsy's results provided by the laboratory confirmed that the cause of death of the young boy had not been the lack of support from the ventilator - as it was later found out that this was still connected to its respective power supply - but his death was to be blamed on an informal pact seemingly made between the manager and the victim.

After having a look in the manager's cabinet, the detectives found the words "Wishes to be euthanized" written on Eiji Ki's patient record; the autopsy reported back that remnants of cyanide chemicals had found their way onto the boy's stream, a similar dosage which was used by the manager to strip himself of the guilt he bore and end life.

A wave of perturbation found their way among staff members of the department, some attesting that the manager had indeed shown signs of melancholy after the resignation of the young nurse, and it can only be assumed that this had in some way contributed to his suicide. A colleague of the former nurse stated regarding this hypothesis: "She was lovely, and everyone around her loved her - both patients and the rest of the staff. It was painful to watch her leave, and I think it was no doubt that the manager may have had a soft spot for her despite the professionalism. He must've truly missed young [L/N].".