Hange frowns like they don't believe you, then changes the subject. "What're you up to tonight?"

You shrug. "I'll go back to the barracks. Climb on the roof, watch the stars. The usual."

"That sounds familiar." Before you have a chance to figure out what they're talking about, Hange's eyes widen. "Wait- that reminds me! Uh, Levi wants to meet you! On a roof!"

You ignore how your heart rate picks up and dig your fingernails into your palms to calm yourself down. "He- he does?" you say, trying not to bite your own tongue. "Why? What does he want?"

They shrug. "No clue. What roof do you normally go up to?"

"Roof of my barracks," you reply, pointing at your building. "That one. How- how's he going to get up there?"

Hange's eyes follow your finger, and then they nod. "Got it. I'll let him know. Don't worry, we brought gear! Didn't know if Shadis wanted an ODM gear demo or not." They grab you in a tight hug. "We'll be back soon! I don't know when, but maybe another month."

You hug them back. "Bye, Hange."

Hange skips off, humming some sort of tune under their breath, and you practically sprint back to the barracks. When you get in, no one's asleep; people are playing card games or just chatting, perched in other people's beds. Someone waves hi to you and you wave back, then climb up the ladder to your bed.

There's a window next to your bed, which is what you've been using, and you've mostly been trying to use it when everyone's asleep so that you don't draw attention to yourself. For the most part, everyone seems wrapped up in their own conversations, so you open the window and slip outside.

Using the windowsill and overhanging ridge for handholds, you clamber up the wall, making sure to close the window before you get too far out of reach. It's a little bit windy tonight, but not enough to make the temperature unbearable.

You pull yourself up on the roof and fall onto your back. The first stars have started to come out, but other than that, it's mostly clear skies.

You only have to wait about two minutes before you hear the familiar whir of ODM gear. You sit up and turn towards the sound as Levi lands gracefully on the roof, still dressed in his grey shirt and pants from earlier but now wearing his green Survey Corps cloak.

"Well?" he asks, crossing his arms.

You raise an eyebrow. "Nice to see you too. Well, what?"

"Well, what do you want? Hange said you wanted to talk."

You blink. "Hange said you wanted to talk."

Silence ensues as you both digest what's going on.

Levi groans, raking a hand through his hair. "I'm going to kill them."

You snort. "So talking to me is such a chore now."

"No, but Hange didn't have to- they didn't have to set something up," Levi protests, glaring at you. "Besides, if you wanted to talk to me, you could've come to me yourself-"

"Would you have said yes?" you counter. "You would've just brushed me off for trying small talk and that would've been that."

"You didn't even try, how would you know?" he retorts, but his shoulders are starting to dip.

"Educated guess," you say with a roll of your eyes.

Levi snorts. "So training's taught you how to use your brain? About time."

You smile thinly. "No wonder you skipped it, I think your brain would've overloaded," you mock.

His eyes flash, and you're wondering if maybe you've overstepped, but Levi still looks relatively relaxed, so you assume he's okay. "Look, can we not argue, for once?" you say in exasperation, waving a hand in the air. "Just- you know, sit out under the stars."