Chapter 9: Crank Chase

~Y/n P.O.V.~

It was dark and quiet. The only thing that could be heard was Brenda and I coughing from the dust and dirt all in the air. A small light from the flashlight in Brenda's hand made the room lighter.

"Are you okay?" She asked me.

"Yeah, great." I responded sarcastically.

A couple more seconds of coughing, we stood up. I looked back at the elevator shoot, seeing that we were trapped down here.

"No, no. How are we gonna get back to the others?" I question.

"Relax." Brenda spoke calmly. "I'm gonna get us out of here. Here." We started walking through the tunnels.

"Why are you helping us?" I ask.

"Trust me, it's not my idea. Jorge seems to think you guys are our ticket to the Safe Haven." Brenda responded.

"The what?"

"You know, paradise. Safe from the sun, free of infection. Supposedly, the Right Arm's been taking kids there for years. Immunes, anyway." She explained.

"And you know where that is?" I ask.

"No. But Jorge knows a guy. Marcus. He used to smuggle kids up into the mountains. If Jorge made it out, that's where he'll be taking your friends."

"If he made it out?"

"You ask a lot of questions."

She walked towards a small vent door, crouching down.

"Can you just come over here and help me with this?" She glanced at me. "Please."

I obeyed, walking over, helping her lift up the vent door. Once it was off, we shined our lights through it, hearing a loud, but distant shriek from inside.

"Well, that doesn't sound good." I comment.

"Yeah." Brenda nodded. "Down here they'll be full term. Let's go." Then she jumped down, me following.

Once we were down, she crouched into a small tunnel, walking through it. I followed, jumping down after she did. We both shined our flashlights in both directions.

"I think it's this way." She started walking in the right direction.

"You think?" I question under my breath, following after her.

We walked through the dark and terrifying tunnels. Our flashlights being the only lights we have. I was thinking about Thomas, Teresa, and the others. Are they okay? Did they make it out alright?

"Do people live down here?" I speak up.

"The Solar Storms forced people underground. Jorge says there's settlements all over these tunnels." Brenda's voice echoes through the tunnels.

"So, what about Jorge? Is he your father?" I ask.

"Close enough. Truth is, I don't really know what he is. He's just always been there. And I've always done what he's asked me to do, no matter how stupid." She admitted.

"So you don't think the Right Arm is real?"

Just then, a shrieking sound was heard from behind us, making us snap our heads and flashlights to that direction. "I think..." Brenda speaks, walking again. "hope is a dangerous thing. Hope has killed more of my friends than the Flare and the Scorch combined. Just thought Jorge was smarter than that."

We stopped near more tunnels, seeing many different paths to take.

"Damn."

We walk forward, looking through all the pathways. I go through one, seeing light at the end of it.