Chapter-1|New beginning

Start from the beginning

"Looks like we gotta thank Mr. and Mrs. Reed for this one," Dani said, twirling in the center of the room.

"They are not here. This is to make up for it." I scoffed.

"It's okay, my love," Lauren said in a soft voice, squeezing my shoulder.

I nodded in reply.

As soon as you enter the dorm, there was a couch in the center of the room with a beautiful center table and a tv in front of it. Behind the couch was an open kitchen, equipped with all the things we might ever need. To the far left of the room was a dining table that could easily accommodate six people. There were three doors on the right wall, which I rightly assume are the rooms. Towards the end, there was a glass door leading to a small but cozy balcony.

"I am going to have so much fun decorating my room." Dani barged into my room.

The rooms were pretty plain. All the furniture was white. There was a bed in the center of the room with a bookshelf in the corner of the right wall. There was a full-length mirror in front of the bed with a closet beside it. Towards the left of the bed was a study desk with a very comfortable-looking chair. There was also a door beside the closet, which I assume led to the ensuite.

"Me too." I smiled at her.

"Let's get unpacking then."

After a few hours, we were all done with the unpacking. I would still need a few things to decorate my room with.

"This shit is tiring." Dani sighed, collapsing on the couch.

"Tell me about it." I agreed.

"Okay girls, it's all done. I have to leave now. Come here." Lauren said, emerging from Dani's room.

Both of us made our way to her and wrapped our arms around her.

"I am going to miss you both so, so much." She said pulling back.

"We are going to miss you too. Take care of yourself." I smiled sadly at her.

"Don't worry about me. You are here to study and have fun but please don't have too much fun, I don't want grandkids right now." She said in a stern voice.

"No promises." Dani joked, but Lauren simply rolled her eyes.

"I am so proud of you both. You have grown into such beautiful human beings. I couldn't have asked for more." She said cupping our cheeks.

"Thank you so much, mom." Dani hugged her.

Lauren has always been a mother figure to me. When my mother couldn't be a mom, Lauren stepped up. The last few years were exceptionally hard, but I was glad to have Lauren by my side. She always treated me like she treated Dani, as her daughter.

Pulling back from Dani, Lauren brought me in for my hug.

"You are a beautiful person, Iris. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise." She whispered in my ear, squeezing me.

"Thank you for everything, Lauren. Everything." I squeezed her back, wiping my tears away.

Suddenly, there was a knock on the main door. Dani moved forward to open the door. I could already hear loud voices coming from the other side of the door.

"Yes, mom! Oh god mom, not here. Yes, I'll use the damn protection. Please stay quiet now." I heard the girl on the side say embarrassed.

"Oh, hi." The girl said perking up once Dani opened the door.

"Hi." Dani smiled.

"Let me help you with that." Dani offered, taking one of her bags, and placed it beside the door of her room.