His scent is strong, and Conrad loves it.

It's comforting and slightly masculine, and the familiarity helps to lull her into a light doze.

"No, it's fine. She always overworks herself at first, and she forgets that she needs to sleep. I'll stay with her for a while, just to make sure that she's safe," Carlos whispers to Scarlet, who nods, looking down at Conrad with a concerned frown.

"Please make sure she's okay, I really like working with her. I don't want someone new to come in and ruin the atmosphere," Scarlet jokes, returning to her desk.

She's fidgety and worried about her friend, but she doesn't want to interfere with her boss unless she sees something wrong or worrying.

She knows that Conrad and Carlos are close and friendly, so she trusts him not to do anything stupid.

Carlos signs himself out of the quarters, entering the silence of the hallways.

He closes his eyes for a moment, adjusting Conrad in his arms.

This is one of the first days she has worn trousers, and he's relieved she did, because he would be hugely scared of flashing anyone her underwear otherwise.

"High Alpha Amaretti, how are you doing today?" Laurie Hutch appears, her bright red hair a startling contrast to the sterile and reflective white of the tiled walls.

"I'm doing well; how are you?" He asks politely, and his fellow Society member smiles widely at him.

She is one of his allies, and they generally agree on all policies.

She's a little creepy, though, and she reminds him of a murder-y puppet or something.

"I'm perfectly fine; thank you. Who's the sleeping beauty in your arms?" Laurie questions, her wide eyes sparkling in the bright lights.

"My chief-of-staff. She fainted," Carlos lies lightly, deciding to save Conrad the embarrassment.

Wolves were supposed to take care of themselves, and Conrad not sleeping, or making sure she was well-rested enough to carry out her job perfectly, was slightly shameful, especially for someone in her role.

"Oh, the poor girl! She was on trial a few weeks ago, wasn't she? I'm not surprised she fainted, the poor dear, she must be so distressed over the whole issue with her mate," Laurie exclaims, shaking her head.

Carlos furrows his brows, looking over at Laurie.

"I mean, can you believe what just came out about that man? I would say he's relieved he went home early, especially with the scandal he and the girl left behind," Laurie shrugs, her mid-calf length dress swirling around her legs.

"What scandal?" Carlos asks curiously, and Laurie presses a hand to her chest, ever the dramatic soul.

"Did you not hear? Apparently, it's triplets, not twins. That's practically unheard of, and she's so young," Laurie mourns, and Carlos raises his eyebrows, stopping in his tracks.

"Triplets? She'll be lucky if she survives," Carlos finally says after a minute of absorbing the information.

"I know! Her age doesn't help," Laurie sniffs, shaking her head.

Laurie is Carlos' age, twenty-nine, but she acts so much older. He supposes it must be her upbringing, because she's very prim and proper until somebody tries to provoke her.

"How old is the girl?" Carlos asks unsurely, and Laurie mutters something to herself while continuing to shake her head.

"She's barely twenty, apparently. A bit shocking, considering he's twenty-eight," Laurie comments, a frown on her pink lips.