CHAPTER FIVE: THE PALACE (1)

Chapter 5

For a moment, flashes of his ruby red eyes, had made its way into my mind, as I bent down, trembling slightly in fear.

Sebastian Anthony de la Rune.

The tyrannical king that destroyed everything in Grimlock that was different than human. The king that had no mercy to his subjects. The very same king that had wiped out the entire blood witch clan and my family without batting an eye.

"T-there's no way....!" I said as my fear began feeling nausea.

Feeling a light pat on my back, I suddenly felt the wet tears touch my hand.

"You will be fine Vanessa," Conrad said.

Hearing his words made me hit his hand away in disgust.

Fine? Fine, he said?

"There is no way I would be fine after what I had been through because of him." I sneered.

We looked at each other's eyes. None straying away. Conrad's soft smile fell as his eyes simply glowered toward me, my heartbeat picking up.

"Well you are going to have to be fine." He snapped making me flinch slightly at his tone.

"I'll get caught before I even see him." I said, trying to sway his decision.

"No, you will not, I will make sure of it."

My mind was blank. I was disposable, which made it easy for Conrad to use me. That must have been the only reason he had chosen me of all people in the auction. And...he knew my secret. It felt as though I was being shackled down with no way to escape from this. I had crossed paths with an angel of death.

"Reynold" Conrad spoke out, as the door pushed open, the steward appearing.

Behind him was a woman of grand stature, she was beautiful, her golden locks of hair cascaded down her shoulders and back, as her eyes as clear as the deep blue ocean, sparkled under the artificial lighting of the candles that lit up the room.

"This here is Elizabeth. She will be the one preparing you for your task." He grinned widely. My eyes snapped to his, he hadn't even told me what I would be doing exactly.

"What would I need to prepare for?" I asked, a lump forming in my throat.

"You are going to enter the palace, as the lady- in-waiting for the crown prince." My eyes widened.

The crown prince?

"Lady-in-waiting?" I questioned.

"Yes. You will be closest to the crown prince after his aide and steward." He conformed.

"Why a lady-in-waiting?" I asked. It made no sense for a woman to be attending to the crown prince.

"What would you need to sway a rat in a trap?" he questioned, waiting for an answer.

"Cheese?"

"Almost, Poisoned cheese. The crown prince is known for stone hearted demeanor, but really, it is because he has been betrayed before that he refuses to open his heart. But you my dear Vanessa, is going to be that poisonous cheese that lures his heart open and makes way for you to exact your task." He explained.

"You want me close to the prince so I can act as a spy?" I questioned shuddering.

"Ding, ding, ding! My you are so smart."

"Why a spy? If you wanted to poison the king, then you could do so without the extra length." I said, trying to understand this entire dilemma.

"Let's look at the king in the position of chess. the king is protected by his knights and guards, so to infiltrate is almost impossible, but without infiltration even in the way, it is almost impossible to even get a glimpse of the king unless he makes himself seen."

"Why would he do that?"

"Did you think he killed the different species of beings living in Grimlock just because he wanted to? Or just because he was scared of being overthrown? My dear Vanessa, He killed to secure his power, but what is even worse than that is, he killed because there was something he could gain." He smiled, as he sat back down.

"What would he gain?" I questioned.

"That is what you will find out, and that will be what we use to destroy him. That, my dear is your task. Finding king Sebastian Anthony de la Rune's weakness through the crown prince, Ian Estrada de la Rune,"

That is what I was. A disposable piece in a game of chess.

"In a month's time, Elizabeth will educate you in carrying the correct tasks in serving the prince. Should you fail, you are to keep your mouth shut at any and all costs, and should you dare betray me-" his eyes tuned cold into a beast looking down at its prey, "I will make sure your existence is erased off the face of the earth."

*

I flopped on the soft bed, letting out a sigh. When was the last time I had felt the comfort of a bed? A nightgown? The brightness of light? It all felt surreal, as it should be.

It is funny how I thought, what would be my last struggle had just become a pathway laid out for me, to walk straight into the arms of death.

Ian Estrada de la Rune.

The crown prince known for his mercilessness and brutality. His name, the lion of war. He had brought Grimlock to its two feet when the king had made it defenseless. That was the kind of man I was going to serve.

And most likely...

The man I was going to be killed by.

Sighing I could not help but let the fear envelope me. My life was now someone's plaything. The very life I had worked this hard for thus far to make sure I was going to die in a way that I decided. Turning to my side, I could not help but bite at my thumb nail.

I needed to find a way to survive, even if it meant finding a way to get my power awakened. I needed to have a back up plan. There is no one I could trust.

Not even Conrad.

I had to do something, and I had to do it before I was sent to the palace.