The Lovers, In Darkness

Start from the beginning

Aurora barely heard him, gagging as the bile fell into the bushes below. She pulled her head back in after a moment, breathing heavily, her left hand clutching the edge of the window while her other wiped away the remaining traces of bile upon her lips. From behind her, Sebastian was attempting to reason with the boy.

"My lord, might I ask what kind of leverage you sought?"

Aurora could almost hear the impish smirk make its way onto Ciel's face.

"I can't have you misbehaving can I, Sebastian?"

The demon was gritting his teeth, "With all due respect, my lord, I would never betray-''

"Stop it." Her soft whisper cut him off, and his attention was immediately on her, "An-" The glare she sent over her shoulder silenced him. "I'm fine." She murmured, "Stop fussing over me. You've always done it far too much." She winced as she turned around, still leaning heavily on the window ledge, her hands shaking as they strained to keep her upright. "All this was done just to ensure he would remain loyal to you?" She frowned at the boy, "You know he could never even if he wanted to. For as long as the contract stands-"

"You said it yourself, Aurora. He's more loyal to you than he ever will be to me. Even with the contract in place." Sitting back in his seat, Ciel smiled, his hand still toying with the pen on the desk. "And with the revelation that you two have been having a rather scandalous affair, publicly I might add, I have means to either fire you, or relocate you to the town house."

A faint grinding sound caught the blonde's attention. Sebastian was gritting his teeth, and a soft growl seemed to be forming in the back of his throat. His chest had begun to rise and fall, and his fists were clenched behind his back, shaking in anger. "All this to ensure I would not break the contract?" Agitation was prominent in his voice. His voice was strained as he forced a laugh, "My lord- you must know that I would never betray you. My first priority is always the contract." Aurora felt as if she'd been stabbed. Of course she knew that she couldn't be his first priority, it would have been foolish to think otherwise. The only time she could ever be his first priority is if they were mates. Even then she'd be second to a contract. Ciel would always come first, even if Sebastian's heart said otherwise. She felt tears in her eyes. She'd never be first, always pushed aside for a contract.

The thought made her instinctively wipe away a tear that hadn't been formed. The demon would never truly be hers. She could be his friend, his lover, his mate even- and she'd never be his. She glanced at the demon, he was still arguing with the boy, vowing that he would never break the contract for anything. Not even her.

It infuriated her, by all means it did, she knew the contract was binding. Knew that until it's end she could never truly have him. Something in the room was hurled past her and she startled, looking back at the Earl. Ciel was seething, strands of his blue hair sticking at awkward angles as he snapped at them both.

"The only reason Aurora is here is because you were so adamant that she stay! Otherwise she would have been long gone by now!"

Aurora narrowed her eyes at the boy, "I would have stayed either way." That made Ciel glare at her. "I would have stayed with him, I wouldn't have even bothered to ask your permission. He is far more important to me than you are." Gently, she tugged off her glove, revealing her shimmering oath seal. "I can always break the oath. I don't have to protect you, Ciel. I'm not bound the way Sebastian is."

A small smirk danced onto her face, and Ciel saw her eyes. Normally kind, blue flecked with grey, now warped by a dark violet that was reminiscent of Sebastian's own eyes. "You must think we are fools, to take the threats of a human child seriously. You can't tear us apart, you don't have that kind of power." Ciel jumped as she suddenly slammed her fist down onto his desk, sending sharp cracks through the finely polished wood. "If you think you have the power to dictate the boundaries of our relationship, I've truly misjudged your intelligence." She leaned down to his level, "You can send me to the town house if you want, Ciel. But trust me when I say this, I am not your enemy." Her hand pressed gently onto the side of the boy's face, finger running over his covered eye. "As long as you are marked with his seal, you have his loyalty. But trust me when I say this, if you ever step over the fine line that you have so foolishly made, I will make sure the rest of the contract is hell for you."