NEW POWERS AND FEELINGS

Chapter 3: New Powers and Feelings
"Not just as I used you. He's helpful in plenty of different ways."

BEATRIX FOUND AELLA EARLY in the morning, training with the bag

BEATRIX FOUND AELLA EARLY in the morning, training with the bag. It swung back and forth with every punch. Beatrix stood at the other end of the bag, holding it for the girl, "I'm going to take it your angry?"

"I'm going to take it you have some way to manipulate me?"

"I didn't know about how you felt before I met him, alright? Although I'm not surprised, you always had a fancy for proper bad boys."

Aella sent a kick to the bag, causing Beatrix to dig her toes into the ground, "I don't have any feeling for Riven."

"And your proving it oh-so well."

"I care because your using him just as you used me," Aella replied, pausing to send a dirty look.

Beatrix scoffed, "not just as I used you. He's helpful in plenty of different ways."

Aella dried her face with a towel, shaking her head, "is this supposed to be an apology?"

"I didn't train you to be so sensitive, you know? He's just a guy, not a mission."

Aella rolled her eyes, too angry to overthink the girls words. She moved back to the bag, grunting with every punch.

After a while, she paused her abuse and spoke, "I'm still missing the apology portion of this apology," Beatrix opened her mouth, but Aella lifted a silencing hand, "for more than just Riven."

Beatrix thought for a second, then held out her wrist, "fine. Get your apology then."

Aella shook her head, "no. I don't want to feel your emotions, I want to hear them. I want you to say it. I want an explanation."

Beatrix pursed her lips together, "your angry about your parents."

"You left after turning my father into a burned giant-

"Burned one."

"-And after electrocuting my mother! Without one word! I was alone while you dilly-dallied. I had to kill them both, because you drove them insane. Then you show up here, and ruin the one good thing I got. Maybe I don't know Riven as much as you so obviously do, but I want to."

Beatrix simply smiled, but Aella could see the regret in her eyes. "'Your being emotional - understandable -yet unnecessary'," she quoted.

Aella groaned, "I regret watching that movie with you."

"Just that?"

"I regret ever meeting you."

Beatrix nodded, her eyes looking into the distance, "you think I want this? You always were so weak, so absolutely childish. Tell me, what is it like to amount to nothing in your life?"