THE PARTY

And that night, I dream of gray eyes, leafy patterns in milk, and I'm running through dark places with eerie strip lighting, and I don't know if I'm running toward something or away from it... it's just not clear.
______

I put my pen down. Finished. My final exam is over. I feel the Cheshire cat grin spread over my face. It's probably the first time all week that I've smiled. It's Friday, and we shall be celebrating tonight, really celebrating. This is it, the end of my academic career.

Lisa hands me a glass of champagne after we arrived back at our apartment.

"To the end of exams and our new life in Seoul," she grins.

"To the end of exams, our new life in Seoul, and excellent results." We clink glasses and drink.
_____

The bar is loud and hectic, full of soon to be graduates out to get trashed. Joe joins us. He won't graduate for another year, but he's in the mood to party and gets us into the spirit of our newfound freedom by buying a pitcher of margaritas for us all. As I down my fifth, I know this is not a good idea on top of the champagne.

"Roseanne?" Joe shouts at me over the noise. I smile as a response, and he puts his arm around my waist and pulls me close.

"More drink, Roseanne!" Lisa bellows.

She's all tiny camisole, tight jeans, and high heels, hair piled high with tendrils hanging down softly around her face, her usual stunning self. Me, I'm more of a Converse and t-shirt kind of girl, but I'm wearing my most flattering jeans. I move out of Joe's hold and get up from our table. Whoa. Head spin. I have to grab the back of the chair. Tequila based cocktails are not a good idea.

I make my way to the toilet while I am on my feet. I stagger off through the crowd. Of course, there's a line, but at least it's quiet and cool in the corridor. I reach for my cell phone to relieve the boredom of waiting in line. At the same time my cell phone rings displaying Park Jimin's number.

I answer on the second ring.

"Roseanne?" I'm surprised to hear his voice.

All of my alarm ring from the head.

"How did you know my number?" I slur at him.

"Roseanne, are you okay? You sound strange." His voice is filled with concern.

"I'm not the strange one, you are," I accuse. There - that told him, my courage fuelled by alcohol.

"Roseanne, have you been drinking?"

"What's it to you?"

"I'm - curious. Where are you?"

"In a bar."

"Which bar?" He sounds exasperated.

"A bar in Seoul."

"How are you getting home?"

"I'll find a way." This conversation is not going how I expected.

"Which bar are you in?"

"You haven't answered my question yet, have you?"

"Roseanne, where are you, tell me now." His tone is so, so dictatorial, his usual control freak.

"You're so... domineering," I giggle.

"Roseanne, there are soo many ways for me to know where are you right now."

Park Jimin is showing his power at me. I giggle again. "Then....catch me. Goodnight, Jimin."

"Roseanne!"

I hang up. Mission not accomplished. I am really quite drunk - my head swims uncomfortably as I shuffle with the line. Well, the object of the exercise was to get drunk. I have succeeded. This is what it's like - probably not an experience to be repeated. The line has moved, and it's now my turn. My phone rings again and it makes me jump. I yelp in surprise.