Chapter 6

Monday, October 4, 2004

I wake up early Monday morning so that I can shower before Isabella. I know that Dad is already on his way to the station so I get up and go to shower. I don't bother taking clothes with me because Isabella is the only one here. Honestly we shared a womb, I think she can see me in a towel. I dress for the day in a knee length khaki pleated skirt, maroon tank-top, and a chocolate brown and white off the shoulder sweater. I put on knee high maroon socks with white stripes along the top and chocolate brown leather ankle boots. I pull the small braids in my hair up to clip them while I French braid the loose strands. I clip the small braids around the larger one and put on some eye make-up and chap stick. I go down stairs to find Isabella eating a pop tart and milk.

"Hey. You feeling alright? I'm going to make muffins if you want some. I got some chocolate chips and fruit yesterday that I could put in them."

"No thanks. I just don't feel it today. I know that you are excited about today, but I'm just not. I didn't say anything to Charlie. I just don't like it here." I take a breath because I know that my temper isn't always rational. I start making muffins before I respond.

"Okay."

"Okay? That's it?"

"Yeah. What do you want me to say, Isabella? You have already told me that you knew you would hate it here. You know that I disagree already. I'm not going to spend all of my time trying to change your mind. I hope that you find something here that you like, even if only because you will be here for the next two years. Honestly though, Isabella, whether you stay here with Dad, go back to Renee, or move off to college, I'm home. This is where I am spending the foreseeable future. I am going to build a life here. I really do hope that you are around for it, but if you choose not to be, then that's your decision."

"Lundie, we have been together all our lives. How can you want to be apart?"

"That for one! We've been together for seventeen years and you still don't know that I hate to be called that! My name is Lund Drottning. I do not like people altering it. If you want to call me by a nick name, do so, but for the gods don't call me by some bastard version of the name my father put thought into giving me. I know that most people don't mind, but I always have. How is it that you don't know that?" I take another breath as I pull the muffins out of the oven to cool. "Isabella, I don't want to be apart. I love you. I want for you to be happy, healthy, and close to me always, but I am not going to continue sacrificing my mental and emotional health for someone who doesn't even listen to me about something so important as my name." She looks stunned for a moment so I start pulling muffins out of the tin, placing them in a Tupperware box as I go. Snacks are important, and magic is always burning energy. After I seal the container I mix a salad in another container and slip my left-over steak from last night into the container for lunch.

"You call me Isabella instead of Bella. How can you seriously be mad for me calling you Lundie?" I pack away my lunch and snack in my backpack along with a couple bottles of water before making myself a glass of chocolate milk. I pull my purse off of the counter and pick up the two muffins I had sat aside for breakfast before I turn around to look at Isabella.

"I call you Isabella because I am mad. I have asked you more times than I care to count to please just call me Lund. You have ignored every request. Why should I give you a level of respect that you are incapable of giving me? Now, I would offer to let you ride to school with me today, but I am going to La Push directly after school so that I can hike a trail for the Rite on Samhain. I don't imagine you would enjoy yourself overly much. Have a good day. Drive safely. I love you." I leave before she can respond, and I'm already pulling onto the road by the time she comes outside.