One

I stood on the bank and looked into the murky water. The air was cold and salty and water sprayed from the sea onto the shore. It felt like it was just yesterday I was here with all my friends. But it was not. It had been five years since then. Five years before I had to kill all of them. I could still hear them, calling my name. "George, I'm sorry," they would say before turning. Before I had to get rid of them. The wind carried the voices of those who have passed and I would often find myself listening to them. Trying to find an answer.

The wind stopped and I snapped out of my trance. I looked around, something felt different. All of a sudden, a Walker jumped up from the water and lunged towards me. I grabbed my cross from off my back and shot it in the middle of its forehead. Before shooting it, I saw the lifelessness in its eyes. It reminded me of my best friend Nick. He was the hardest to kill. We were the last to survive but nature is cruel and likes to tare people down until they can't go on any longer. But I was one of the lucky ones who managed to push myself to live. To survive. The only thing that kept me going was the thought of my friends, this is what they would have wanted. Nick, Tommy, Sam, Alex, Toby. I missed them all. Some of them weren't even 18 yet and I had to end them... Sighing, I take out my box of matches and light one, throwing it onto the Walker that laid in front of me.

I pick at the grass beneath my feet whilst chewing on a handful of berries I found. They made my mouth tingle but you couldn't be picky in this world. I finished eating and stood up. My hoodie protected me from the wind as I walked through the coldness of the night with only the light from the moon and stars guiding my path.