chapter 3

We left Seattle and found ourselves in Forks. It seemed to be alright. The thunder boomed as did a crack, like a ball hitting a bat but much more intense.

Victoria and James shared a look and smiled. They quickly sped off, as Laurent and I followed.

We made to a clearing, it was a field. On the other side were a group of vampires, I quickly hid behind Victoria.

I wasn't supposed to be seen when we approached vampires. They said it was too much of a risk, because I looked younger than I was. But I was sixteen. Or well at least that's what I was before I died.

I watched the coven of vampires from behind Victoria's fur coat. She seemed anxious.

I blocked out Laurent's voice from my mind as he began to speak to the coven. They seemed like they were once playing baseball.

The man spoke then, I heard him clear as day as we stood far away from them on the other side of the field, "My name is Carlisle. This is my family Esme, Alice, Rosalie, Emmett, Jasper, Edward and Bella."

I heard the smile in Laurent's voice as he spoke, "Ah, you mind adding a few more players to your game? It's just us, I don't think Lonnie would want to play."

The man, Carlisle nodded, "A few of us were leaving, anyway," the man standing behind with with a young brunette turned to walk away. But as she did, a wind blew, blowing her hair out of the way.

James smelled it immediately, "Didn't know you brought a snack," I smelled it after. It was an intriguing smell, but I held myself back as I watched Victoria, Laurent and James race towards the girl in a blur.

The vampires sprang into action keeping their precious human safe. I stood there watching as it happened.

"We have a treaty with the wolves and as long as we stay here it must be kept." Carlisle stated as he knocked James on the ground. The man with the reddish hair had escaped with the girl.

Victoria immediately went to her mate as my eyes caught sight of the blonde woman staring at me intently.

Victoria pulled James up and they left in a blur, obviously not paying attention to me. James gave me an evil smirk as he turned his head slightly towards me.

All of their eyes, their golden topaz eyes, seemed to find me. I waved. I wasn't sure what I was to do.

"She's not a threat," a tad southern accent with a modern twist spoke up. I looked to where the voice came from, seeing a young man with short golden brown hair.

"Are you with them?" Carlisle spoke up.

I shook my head. "As much as I should say yes. No, I am not," I stood there fiddling with my frying pan, it was attached to my waist.

Laurent gave me a look, "She's with me," he walked over to me and in the blink of an eye he was standing next to me with his hand on my arm.

"They left, Laurent, can't we just go and get away from them?" I asked him in a whisper but the others probably heard.

"Fine, I heard there's a coven in Alaska," he turned his attention to the coven, "We don't wish to harm you, I'm sorry I lost my composure. We were just leaving," Carlisle nodded.

The blonde looked almost sad, I wasn't sure why she kept staring. The others seemed to take notice as we sped off towards Alaska.