Chapter 3 ♚ Predator

Start from the beginning

declined... those strange people's offer...

she made a run for it.

and then...

and then what?

Oh.

They knocked her out unconscious.

And now she's here.

A bead of sweat trickled down the poor kid's foreheads and down to the follicles of her hair line.

What the hell did she get herself into...

Eren! Mikasa! she quickly thought in her head, but then they died just as quickly. Did... did anyone even see...?

As soon as she heard a noise coming from the corner of the room, (Y/N) snapped her eyes shut, making it seem as if she were still out cold. In this blind and vulnerable state, the chilling effect in the air felt like it doubled, evident from her chattering teeth she tried to hide. Her ears perked up upon hearing footsteps break the silence until the presence stopped. Despite her will to pretend she was sleeping, the tense look in her face gave it away.

"You're awake." The man's words came off more as a statement than a question.

The trapped girl refused to say a word though.

"A one-way mirror," he clarified while (Y/N) nervously listened. "That's what you're seeing here. I'm sure you noticed."

She did notice. Of course she noticed the major glass planted on one side of the wall.

"To you, it's just like any other mirror where you could see your reflection. However, whoever is on the other side can see directly what you're doing." Her muscles tensed at the idea that he saw her struggle— at the fact that she was absolutely defenseless. "In other words, I know you're awake."

Knowing that broke the girl's facade. She couldn't hold it anymore.

"Let me go," she frantically pleaded with wide eyes at the doctor. "Why are you doing this?! Let me out!" (Y/N)'s mind flashed to the moment where she declined their offer... so why... why is she here?!? "...How could you?" she despairingly breathed as she finally came to the hopeless conclusion that they brought her here against her will, the bridge of trust ruined.

Dr. Alexander stared at the girl with half-lidded eyes, obviously not swayed by the young child's dismay. Perhaps, even a part of him felt bad for the girl's naivety.

He sighed. "You are in a state of shock. I don't expect you to understand; they all have that same reaction when they come here." The two locked eyes for a brief moment, one pair scared while the other stoic. "Technological advances have slowed down these past few years, and the progress of maintaining the state of society is on a steady decline, and sure enough there will come a day where we'll have nothing to stop the crumbling mess that awaits us. Yet, there are some people high in the hierarchy that don't want to see the significant achievements we've gained here come to light," Aleksander remarked distastefully, hinting at the undisclosed history between two parties.

"I have a duty." His ice-blue eyes narrowed, his forehead outlined with riveting indignation. "A duty to restore this world and take back the land that's been lost. To be greater than my father ever was and to terminate the diseases meandering this Earth!" The man ended his monologue with a distinct passion that rooted from a place of neglect; his eyes envisioning his own paradise full of recognition and fulfillment. "Then... everyone will know."

Realizing how loud he had gotten, he said nothing and recollected himself. However, (Y/N), the young girl forcefully taken here, just lied there frozen. There was a strong possibility she wasn't even taking anything he was saying into account.