𝚌𝚑23. 𝚍𝚊𝚝𝚎 𝚗𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚘𝚞𝚝

november 17th, 2020

saddle ranch was kassidy and jc's favorite place to have date nights. the atmosphere almost always matched their energy and due to the amount of night outs they'd had here with their friends and with each other, it was filled with nothing but good memories.

the two of them sat alone at a table, dressed casually and engaged in conversation with one another. date night was kassidy's favorite thing. her and jc were almost always hanging out with their friends, so it was nice when the two of them finally got the chance to do something together, alone.

"do you have anything planned for thanksgiving?" jc asked her, taking a sip of his drink. the holiday was something that had never come up in conversation, but it was something that kassidy had been thinking about since november had rolled around... so she was happy he'd brought it up so she didn't have to.

she shrugged, "corbyns birthday is the day before, but other than family, no other plans"

he nodded, "me and the boys will most likely do a dinner over at our house, which you're obviously more than welcome to join"

"i actually was wondering if you'd be interested in having dinner with me and my family?" she wondered. upon noticing the surprised look on his face, she quickly began to back track, "you don't have to! it's just you've never met my mom and i thought-"

"babe, babe, babe" he laughed, cutting off her ramble, "i'd love to have dinner with you and your family. you just caught me by surprise"

she smiled nervously, her heart rate returning to normal, "oh. okay, yeah, great"

"while we're on the topic of holidays and family, what do you think about flying out with me to texas for christmas?"

okay, him meeting her mother was one thing, but her meeting his parents? a totally different ball game but, she knew it was inevitable.

"yeah, babe, that sounds great"

a wide smile overcame his face and whatever nerves she was feeling about being introduced to his family suddenly became small in comparison to how his happiness made her feel. with a smile like that, she'd give him anything he asked for.

and that's how she knew she was in serious trouble.

she didn't have much time to dwell on her thoughts though, because within the next few seconds a beautiful girl had wandered over to their table.

now, kassidy didn't live under a rock. she knew the girl was chelsey, but she didn't know how she felt about this interruption.

"jc?" chelsey smiled, stopping in front of their table, "hey! how have you been?!"

jc looked up at her, a welcoming smile on his face, "chelsey, hey. i've been good, how about you?"

she shrugged, "i've been alright" she glanced towards kassidy, "hi, i'm chelsey, nice to meet you"

kassidy took her outstretched hand, accepting the handshake. "hey, i'm kassidy. it's nice meeting you too"

judging by the smile on chelsey's face, kassidy knew she was a nice girl... so why the hell was she all of a sudden filled with jealousy.

maybe it was because of the way jc's smile had considerably brightened from the moment the pretty brunette had made her presence known, but kassidy knew better than to blame that on the girl.

"well it was nice seeing you again" chelsey smiled at jc before turning to kassidy, "and it was nice meeting you"

kassidy returned the smile, watching as she walked away from the table. when she was out of sight, she turned her attention back to jc.

"so..." she trailed off, an awkward smile making its way onto her face

"that was chelsey" jc told her, "an old friend of mine"

"yeah" she nodded, knowing what he meant by 'old friend'. kassidy tried not to be a jealous person, but part of her couldn't help it.

the atmosphere between the two of them had noticeably shifted. what had just been a fun date night out now felt awkward and uncomfortable.

"what's wrong?" jc frowned, noticing her tense body language.

"nothing" she smiled tightly. she refused to admit that she was jealous, especially when she knew that all jc was going to do was tell her she had no reason to be.

"i know we haven't been dating long, but i know you well enough to know when somethings bothering you. what is it?"

"she's your ex, right?" she blurted out, deciding just to cave. just like jc had said, they hadn't been dating long, but she knew him well enough to know he wasn't going to just drop this.

"yeah" he nodded. he was confused for a moment, until it dawned on him and a look of realization settled on his face, "that's what's bothering you? why?"

"it's not bothering me" she huffed, stubbornly crossing her arms over her chest, "i was just wondering"

"yeah, baby, whatever you say" he rolled his eyes, completely not buying what she was trying to sell him, "if that is what's bothering you, even if you say it's not, just know that me and chelsey are very over. i wouldn't play you like that. i want to be with you"

"i know" she sighed, uncrossing her arms and dropping the stubborn act, "i'm sorry"

"don't be, mama. it's all good"

"so.." she smiled, leaning her face onto her palms and changing the subject "i don't know about you, but i'm ready to get out of here"

there was a glint in her eye that jc immediately caught on to he smirked teasingly, "yeah? and go where?"

"i want you to take me home" she pleaded

"no need to plead, baby. all you gotta do is ask"