part two

•Nico•

"Hey, watch where you're going, freak," a guy spat after Nico accidentally bumped into him.

Freak. Freak. Freak.

The small Italian just brushed it off, as if he were used to it. He was used to it.

"Oh em gee, Tina, you're such a fatty," a girl mumbled as her friend, Tina, scarfed down a muffin.

Why were those words so casually tossed around? It was sickening.

"Oh look it's the freak."

"Someone get him in a freak show."

"He could be on American Horror Story!"

"Oh, it'd be horror for them alright."

Nico furrowed his eyebrows and concentrated on blocking them out. He was really good at it...sometimes.

But now was not one of those times.

"Oh look, he's about to cry!"

"Monsters have emotions?"

And that was it for Nico. He ran into the boys bathroom and into a stall, locked the door, and curled up on the floor.

Monster. Freak.

It all stung like ice on salt (Nico knew. He had tried it) and he barely could take it. It was because of his little sister, Hazel, that he was still alive right now.
He sobbed into his knees and felt all the happiness leaving his body. Not that there was much in the first place.
He heard the first bell for school ring and he had to get up. He had to wipe his tears. He had to pull up his hood and move on.

Because this was highschool.

And highschool wasn't nice to anybody.

---

There was an assembly in second period. All of the sophomores had to go to the gym. The teachers passed out flyers. One person was standing in the middle of the room, right in front of a microphone.

"Alright, students," the principal called. "We will be having a new student here. But he is a bit...troubled. He has been to several mental institutions for three years. He has manic depression disorder and is know to like causing fires. He killed his own mother by locking her in a room and setting the entire building on fire. But we give everyone chances here at Jupiter High School, and we will give him a chance. He has changed. Now, if you look through your booklet I handed out-"
Nico zoned out. He didn't care.
But the poor kid. He was in mental institutions for three years? Nico went there for two days and it felt like prison.

And the poor guy would be called a freak. He would be picked on. Nico felt sympathy for the new kid, who was coming tomorrow.

They dismissed to third period, and Nico read over his pamphlet instead of actually doing his work.

The kid was coming tomorrow.

Poor guy.

---

When Nico got home, he logged into his online support group that his step-mom, Persephone, was making him join.

GhostKing181 has entered the chat.

Chiron - Welcome back, GhostKing. SupersizedMcShizzle, would you like to share your news to GhostKing.

SupersizedMcShizzle - sure. i lft the institution i wuz going 2

GhostKing181 - you were in an institution?

SupersizedMcShizzle - ya. but im leevng so dats good.

GhostKing181 - I didn't know they allowed Internet access in institutions.

SupersizedMcShizzle - o...yah dey do in mine. but i can only gt on dis groop chat.

GhostKing181 - oh. Well, congrats.

SupersizedMcShizzle - thnks. any news with u?

GhostKing181 - Nope.

Sparky754 has entered the chat.

Sparky754 - hey.

SupersizedMcShizzle - hola

GhostKing181 - Hey.

Chiron - Welcome back, Sparky. We were just talking about SupersizedMcShizzle's good news.

SupersizedMcShizzle - il tel hm when evry1 gts here.

Chiron - Alright.

BeautyQueen817 has entered the chat.

Chiron - Hello, BeautyQueen. Any good news for today?

BeautyQueen817 - No. Not really.

Chiron - Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe tomorrow.

WiseGirl098 has entered the chat.

WiseGirl098 - hello? Is anyone here?

Chiron - Yes. SupersizedMcShizzle, GhostKing, Sparky, and BeautyQueen are here. We're just waiting on SeaweedBrain.

SeaweedBrain285 has entered the chat.

Chiron - Okay, now that we're all here, SupersizedMcShizzle has some good news.

SupersizedMcShizzle - i lft the institution i wuz going 2

WiseGirl098 - that's great!

BeautyQueen817 - I'm so proud of you.

Sparky754 - good job bro

SeaweedBrain285 - lucky. I wish I could leave mine *sad face*

GhostKing181 - why can't you?

SeaweedBrain285 - I flooded a whole school and they think I was trying to kill everyone so I'm under watch.

GhostKing181 - sucks. I went to an institution for two days and it felt like prison.

SupersizedMcShizzle - ur tellng me. i pnched a wall nd broke my hnd nd dey woodnt fix it bc i did it 2 myself.

GhostKing181 - why'd you punch the wall.

SupersizedMcShizzle - dey made me thro my lunch awy nd i got mad bc i wuz hungry but dey loked me up in my room.

GhostKing181 - I don't really care much for food.

Chiron - Do you have an eating disorder, GhostKing?

GhostKing181 - not really. I just eat when I'm hungry, which isn't a lot.

SupersizedMcShizzle - i gtg. gotta gt redy 4 skool 2morow.

Chiron - Alright. Bye, SupersizedMcShizzle.

SupersizedMcShizzle has left the chat.

WiseGirl098 - I should probs go too. I have a lot of homework.

GhostKing181 - same. I have an essay due tomorrow that I haven't even started *cringe* see you all later.

GhostKing181 has left the chat.

Nico sighed and pushed away from his laptop, staring at the now blank screen. He had only been talking to them for what felt like only five minutes, but in reality was an hour.

"Nico! Come help me with dinner!" Persephone yelled up the stairs.

"I'm not good at making dinner," he responded and he could imagine Persephone rolling her eyes and giving a girly huff while muttering, "that child, I swear."